METABONES and CAPTURE

Waiting to get the GH4, with my old Nikon lens' and adapter, talk to me about the metabones adapter. Sounds a little like hocus pocus, faster, less multiply factor? Or should I settle on the leica Pan 25 or Olym 25? Is every body still thinking that for $3k, (GH4, metabones,) this would be the outfit for a drama/film? Also, what would the storage I'd need to capture 24fps, at 4.2.2.? SD cards or outside hard drives(Unfamiliar with these)?
As Always I enjoy the info
Vows

I just picked up one of the ebay speedboster knockoffs for cannon FD to M43.. Figured Id try for $98 and see if there was anything to it before investing the $400.

Its not hocus pocus, it does what it says it does.. Ill definitely be investing in the metabonnes version... The version I have has some design issues... but the technology is for real and I used it on a shoot last week. Low light situation really benefited from the added stop.

FYI: Gh4 doesn't capture 4:2:2, it does 4:2:0, there is some possibility of down sampling 4k to 1080p and backfill the missing bits that way.. but I don't really know what that means..

Waiting to get the GH4, with my old Nikon lens' and adapter, talk to me about the metabones adapter. Sounds a little like hocus pocus, faster, less multiply factor? Or should I settle on the leica Pan 25 or Olym 25? Is every body still thinking that for $3k, (GH4, metabones,) this would be the outfit for a drama/film? Also, what would the storage I'd need to capture 24fps, at 4.2.2.? SD cards or outside hard drives(Unfamiliar with these)?
As Always I enjoy the info
Vows

Both the GH4 and Metabones are remarkable bits of tech; you can make a feature w/ them

MB = remarkably constructed, optically valid approach
Only downsides are ghosting highlights reflections between sensor and lens, and less than stellar optical performance at values lower than f1.2 (for the purists)

4.2.2 = you need the GH4 extension box, or a Atomos Ninjastar via HDMI. There is a way to fudge psuedo 4.2.2 2k by recording to SD in 4k and using Rarevision's batch converter thingy

FYI: Gh4 doesn't capture 4:2:2, it does 4:2:0, there is some possibility of down sampling 4k to 1080p and backfill the missing bits that way.. but I don't really know what that means..

They take a noise/detail dither of 4 pixels, and average them into a single pixel value in a 10 bit 4.4.4 color space - this approach is limited in benefit if the 4.2.0 8-bit 4k was not captured in a macroblock/compression free codec, as the macroblocks for AVC are typically on larger scales than pixels... (especially for smooth gradients)

Last edited:
Iv been trying to figure out the gh4 extension box thingy.. as far as I understand it doesnt do anything but give you SDI output and 4:2:2 over HDMI, your gh4 wont start recording 4:2:2 so its not a "this" or "that" proposition.. you will need BOTH

4.2.2 = you need the GH4 extension box "AND" a Atomos Ninjastar ...
or am I wrong?

Iv been trying to figure out the gh4 extension box thingy.. as far as I understand it doesnt do anything but give you SDI output and 4:2:2 over HDMI, your gh4 wont start recording 4:2:2 so its not a "this" or "that" proposition.. you will need BOTH

4.2.2 = you need the GH4 extension box "AND" a Atomos Ninjastar ...
or am I wrong?

No, you are right. My bad; that should have been an and there. Kind of a funky solution

If I was on the market for a camera atm, I would go with a BMPCC, w/ accompanying MB

...4.2.2 = you need the GH4 extension box "AND" a Atomos Ninjastar ...
or am I wrong?

No, you can get 10-bit 4:2:2 1080p straight from the camera's micro HDMI port with a $295 Ninja Star (when it becomes available), or right now with a $695 Atomos Ninja 2 or a $995 Ninja Blade.

In the future, when the $1995 Atomos Shogun is released, you will be able to record 10-bit 4:2:2 4K straight from the micro HDMI port.

The only thing you would need the $2000 DMW-YAGH "extension box" for is 10-bit 4:2:2 Quad SDI 4K output to a very expensive Aja Ki Pro or Odyssey 7Q.

I'll stick with the HDMI port, thank you very much :)

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
In the future, when the $1995 Atomos Shogun is released, you will be able to record 10-bit 4:2:2 4K straight from the micro HDMI port.
Great piece of kit but that's one hell of a price.

Interestingly if you buy a Sony Alpha a7S, the only way to capture 4k is via the Shogun. You cannot capture 4k internally (in-Camera via card). That's $2,500 for the Sony and $2,000 or so for the Shogun, total: $4,500 or so! :no:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvtMRnENGec

Last edited:
Great info...but it is all too fast and above me. I do not want 4k, my film takes place in 1997, I want it toolook like it does. 24 frames at full HD 1920x1080, I want to get as much depth in color and feel that a camera in the 3k price range will give. So what storage do you recommend? This is my time to study these products, I will purchase the adapter on your recommendations...I will probably stick with the GH4 because it appears to be friendly to new to video people. FWIW, I built my set and lights last summer, they need tested when I get the camera, I understand it is all about the light....
Thanks
Vows

Great info...but it is all too fast and above me. I do not want 4k, my film takes place in 1997, I want it toolook like it does. 24 frames at full HD 1920x1080, I want to get as much depth in color and feel that a camera in the 3k price range will give. So what storage do you recommend? This is my time to study these products, I will purchase the adapter on your recommendations...I will probably stick with the GH4 because it appears to be friendly to new to video people. FWIW, I built my set and lights last summer, they need tested when I get the camera, I understand it is all about the light....
Thanks
Vows

Hi Vows - Max color bit depth in your price range is 12-bit 4:4:4 RAW from the Blackmagic Cameras - but they are definitely not "friendly". And neither is Canon RAW via Magic Lantern.

So you're right - the most user friendly and best value-for-money 10-bit 4:2:2 color within your $3000 budget would be a $1697.99 GH4 bundle (w SD card, camera bag, cleaning kit & screen protector) combined with a $295 Ninja Star external 10-bit 4:2:2 1080p recorder.

That would leave you about $1000 in your camera budget for lenses.

Good luck!

Bill

Last edited:
As I read more about this a couple of quick questions. The way in which I capture with the ninja, are those files common enough to make premiere work easily or will I have conflicts? When I last worked with adobe premiere, I ordered an apple from promax, everything was easy. Along with my mic and sound recordered teathered to the camera, the external screen monitor, and the ninja, does every shot require me to turn on sound recorder, ninja and camera for the shot? I would like to press the shutter and it all begins recording, or is that a dream? Also, the classic backup question. All my years as a photographer, I carried a backup, I can't go into my project with one camera, would I order right before the date of the shoot a second GH4, leave it unopen, then return if unneed, kinda of uncool? What do you filmmakers think?
Thanks
Vows

wow, I hadnet heard of the ninja star, thatch an interesting bit of kit, and right priced, but those dang cfast cards are pricey. I think you could get a Atmos Ninja 2 and use $100 ssd's for less money, and have an additional monitor with focus aids to boot..

talk to me about the metabones adapter. Sounds a little like hocus pocus, faster, less multiply factor

Not hocus pocus, just optics. ;) The collimating lens gathers more light, from a slightly larger image area, and focuses it onto a smaller target. Similar to how lenses in lasers work, a larger light source (the image projecting through your lense) is focused into a tighter cone. Thus more light, and wider image.

But it does feel a little bit magical. :lol:

Does anyone know how much a metabones speedbooster weighs?
I'm doing some calculations for a setup on a MoVi5: 5lbs load capacity isn't much, so I need to know what I can 'squeeze in'.

Back