• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Foley Work

Has anyone ever thought of paying for foley work for their film. What would you think a good budget is for that type of work?

Has anyone ever thought of paying for foley work for their film. What would you think a good budget is for that type of work?

Again, you're missing: the OP says he is the Foley pro Peter Persaud who has done Foley on many big budget Hollywood pictures: Black Swan etc...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0675403/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

...useful to know when answering his 'question'

OP, reading a few dozen threads here, you'll quickly realize that we're mostly low, ultra-low to micro-budget film makers here. Most of us would love to have the budget to do professional Foley. 99% of us don't - we have to do it ourselves, buy cheap external Foley (or get some free) or - worst case - ignore it.

Last edited:
...the question is legitimate .. does an indepentant film maker think of foley. If so how much would you pay for it ... Is there a need for a service that provides good sfx for a lower cost to help lower budgets ... Is there a need for more instructional videos, articles or workshops that people can afford ?? Is there a need for a funding program to help people out?

To me, this is a WAY better question to ask (or a better way to ask the question), especially in addition to introducing your Foley experience.

A quick scan of Foley/audio threads on this forum will cement an understanding that most first-timers do NOT have a sufficient knowledge of the importance of audio in general, let alone Foley (et al) in specific.

G/APE and Alcove have provided a few very informative threads on some specific aspects of audio, but I think there definitely is a need for more instructional videos from a purely audio-centric frame of reference. There are a few YouTube channels from the likes of Ric Viers, but he's no where technical enough for me in them (which is a stark distinction from his books it seems).

All that being said, most of us I think (myself for sure) struggle to get a bigger budget so we don't have to feed our cast/crew with pizza, so a pay service will be harder sell. But I watch all the YouTube (AND click on the ADs as often as possible) that are relevant to filmmaking, especially the more "esoteric" aspects of it.

CraigL

Now that is a very constructive post ... is it easy to find foley sounds on the web? is there a website? would a website service like itunes help where you can buy quality foley at a very low cost be beneficial or useless? or a service where you can download your film for industry people to help, again at a low cost? or better yet, do you or anyone else have an idea that could bridge the gap?

Tool ...

Let see you said

'Also, there are pros and amateurs. Experienced people, and unexperienced people.

IndieTalk is a place where people help others with less knowledge in a certain field, share their opinions, and show/promote their film or product'

But then you cut up a student with these comments.

'Highly recommend you get a tripod if you do not own one already.

Your KickStarter promo was jarring to watch due to handheld-style.

And 2k will not go far based on what your KickStarter says you need help with.

But this site is for people to share opinions and show.promote their films or product ... until you don't like them... well I hope that ChipsGray get's that 2 thousand dollars (pros don't like it when you say K) and continues on with his film making...

Can't wait to hear from you again IndiePaul

You're confusing me and IndiePaul. The first two statements listed were made by me. Find your marbles.
You have little knowledge about audio and filmmaking in general.
You make offensive generalizations and use sarcasm and hurtful statements to seem superior.
You lie about who you are. Nobody who has worked on films like "Black Swan" and "Tropic Thunder" asks how much to charge for Foley work.
What is wrong with saying there are people with superior knowledge and experience than others?
We hope that Chips Grey gets money too. We offered him advice so that he makes the best quality product he can make. On IndieTalk, we don't sugar coat things, and tell them the filmmaking fairy is going to give them gear and actors, and that all of their work is perfect. We like to give good, honest critiques to help better them as filmmakers. And you fail to mention IndiePaul wishing Chips the best of luck. If you're going to pick a stupid fight with anyone, it should be me. I told him I didn't like the handheld, and that the trailer wasn't much.

Please stop fighting. This is a place for discussion, not hate and sarcasm.

Now that is a very constructive post ... is it easy to find foley sounds on the web? is there a website? would a website service like itunes help where you can buy quality foley at a very low cost be beneficial or useless? or a service where you can download your film for industry people to help, again at a low cost? or better yet, do you or anyone else have an idea that could bridge the gap?

It's Foley, not foley.

:grrr:

Also, there are sites for HQ sound effects like SoundSnap.com that have affordable prices for indie filmmakers.

Also, you can start a thread on IndieTalk asking for Foley artists. Anything, really. I found a composer recently.

There are a few YouTube channels from the likes of Ric Viers, but he's no where technical enough for me in them (which is a stark distinction from his books it seems).

Rics videos are more commercials and entertainment than instructional.

Doing production sound and audio post is like any other aspect of filmmaking - you learn what you can by reading and watching, but you need the right gear and need to spend a lot of time applying the lessons learned and making mistakes until you become proficient.

Now there you go again with the insults?

You truly believe this statement you wrote?
'You have little knowledge about audio and filmmaking in general.'
And you actually think I'm coming here looking for work?

Now moving back to the subject
Is it better to show people how to do it? Say a YouTube channel? Perhaps a website like this with a video tutorial section?

You truly believe this statement you wrote?
'You have little knowledge about audio and filmmaking in general.'
And you actually think I'm coming here looking for work?

Now moving back to the subject
Is it better to show people how to do it? Say a YouTube channel? Perhaps a website like this with a video tutorial section?

That statement was a bit extreme, but from the way you talk with people, the way you act, and the questions you ask, you seem to have little knowledge about audio and filmmaking in general.

You want to tell me about insults? :lol:

I never said you were coming here for work.

I do Foley work - amongst other things like dialog editing, sound effects, mixing, etc.

It all depends upon the amount of detail you want. For Foley figure between one (1) and fours (4) hours of work per linear minute. So if you have a 100 minute feature it would be 100 and 400 hours of work. The large discrepancy depends upon the type of film; a straight drama takes a lot less work than an action film.

Foley rates vary widely - anywhere from $25/hr to $150/hr (and up!) depending upon the facility. At $25/hr you are not going to get a top facility; at $150/hr you'll get a nice facility. To get the best you're going to pay A LOT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpdNPsUnDqU

Thank you for the informative post Alcove :)

Ahhh, you started with those, remember.

I'm just amazed that you asked the question you did, yet claim to be a professional Foley person - yet also decided not to mention that in your original post... Then you let some of us reply... They hit us with your 'well actually I'm this Foley pro with 20+ years experience' post.

CraigL and others: How can this person be who he claims yet ask:

is it easy to find foley sounds on the web? is there a website?

You just have to type into google: free Foley

I don't buy it. And his first post was: what is a good budget for Foley?

...that from someone who claims to have 20+ years top tier professional Foley experience

Last edited:
You have little knowledge about audio and filmmaking in general.

You just have to type into google: free Foley.
I don't buy it. And his first post was: what is a good budget for Foley?
...that from someone who claims to have 20+ years top tier professional Foley experience

I have no idea if foleypete is who he claims to be but, there is NOTHING in any of his posts which gives any indication of his level of knowledge about audio post, although some of the responses to foleypete do indicate a lack of basic knowledge of what Foley actually is!

Just to be clear: Foley is the performing of sound effects in real time to the picture. Foley should therefore require relatively little sync'ing and is performed per screen character. Anyone can record a few footsteps, what Jack Foley brought to the table, compared to the average Joe recording footsteps, was the creation of characters, giving each screen character their own individual style of footsteps to accentuate the nature of the character's personality/emotional state. Jack Foley turned a simple technical exercise into an art form and so successful and in demand by film makers of the day was this new art form that the whole field was named after him.

Now that you understand exactly what Foley is, you must realize that just typing "free Foley" into google is not going to get you any free Foley. The best you can hope for is some free sound effects, for example some bog standard generic footsteps but not actual Foley because Foley requires a Foley Artist and a Foley Recordist to create sounds tailored to your movie and the specific characters in it. If it's not custom recorded and performed in sync with your picture, tailored to your characters, then technically it's not Foley, it's just sourced sound effects!

The question of budget was also entirely valid. The average budget for Foley for a low budget commercial feature would probably be somewhere around $25k or so. As with everything else in film, you can buy Foley relatively cheaply from those who are less well equipped and less experienced or you can hire a highly experienced, successful Foley team who can not only get much better results but can do it far quicker. The question wasn't "how much do most commercial films budget for Foley" but "how much do the indie filmakers here budget for Foley". The fact is that most here budget nothing for Foley, many don't even have any Foley and more than a few don't even know what Foley is! This is inconceivable to a professional filmmaker because Foley is not considered by the film industry as an option but as a standard basic filmmaking requirement. Obviously I'm talking about narrative dramatic films/shows rather than genres such as; music videos, documentaries or reality shows for example.

Again, I'm not saying that foleypete is who he claims to be or that he approached asking his questions in the best way possible but I do think there has been quite a lot of over reaction to his original questions.

G

Thanks AudioPostExpert.

Just to clarify, indeed the budget question was entirely valid but from an indie film maker. It was not valid coming the way it was worded from someone who claims to have 20+ years experience creating Foley for professional Hollywood productions but hid that experience and repeatedly lead me and others on - such as the OP (foleypete) did and claimed in later posts.

Now if he had said, 'I'm a Foley Pro, how much do you indie folks budget for Foley?' that would be entirely different.

He made his professional experience claim after AlcoveAudio, jmoschner and I tried to provide guidance, and after additional Q&A with him.

He replied to my initial reply with:

Thanks for the clarification. About a 90 min feature with 4 main characters, most 2 on the screen at a time. Do you think $1000 a day is too much?

So lead me on. No note of his experience.

AlcoveAudio then replied.

He then replied with another question - again leading us on.

AlcoveAudio, myself and jmoschner then replied.

Then bang, he hits us with his claimed experience.

I consider it an abuse of the IT spirit and a huge waste of our time.

I don't like my time being wasted and I don't like being deceived - particularly by someone who has asked for help and I (and others) take time out to provide it.

So I don't consider my reaction an over-reaction given that situation.

Last edited:
Back