How do you get your creative juices flowing?

Take a poop.

:lol: Uh-huh. I'm quite sure it was Voltaire who wrote about the importance of good bowel movements and being regular. So yeah, eat plenty of fiber.

Must have fiber. Fiber gooooooood. Constipation baaaaaaaad.

I tend to think it helps to stick with things you're actually interested in. What are you into? What turns you on? What films do you want to see? What's important to you? What would you like to say?

I'm a critic of the resultant films to some extent, but I'm fond of what I heard Lucas say about what he did. He said he asked himself what he wanted to see. No one was doing it. So he made those films himself.

Last edited:
I see Yoda has taught you well. Or was it Morpheus? Cuz they say the same thing, but more poetic Yoda is. :)

I believe it was a Yoda/Morpheus hybrid.

One side wanted to say, 'Write a good script you shall.'
The other wanted to say, 'What if I told you the script is in your mind?'
Both parts collided and gave me the saying :P

:lol: Uh-huh. I'm quite sure it was Voltaire who wrote about the importance of good bowel movements and being regular. So yeah, eat plenty of fiber.

I tend to think it helps to stick with things you're actually interested in. What are you into? What turns you on? What films do you want to see? What's important to you? What would you like to say?

I'm a critic of the resultant films to some extent, but I'm fond of what I heard Lucas say about what he did. He said he asked himself what he wanted to see. No one was doing it. So he made those films himself.

I want to see more films with more emotion. True human emotion, not some cheesy Hollywood typical emotion shit like, 'Oh, my car broke!'

I work better with a dead line.
I work better with constraints.

Suggested limits to get you started.

Setting Period: Contemporary
Story Length: 24 hours
Genre: Drama

Coming up with ideas and concepts never seemed to be hard for me. If you watch a lot of TV, films, certain lines (that have almost nothing to do with the main plot) can sometimes give you ideas. Funny things that happened to you can also become good material. Beautiful art pictures can give you some ideas. Crazy news stories can influence you. Take anything you REALLY like and find a way to make it a movie in an original or intriguing way.

I always get my creative juices flowing under the shower... Wow, that sounded somewhat nasty. :lol:

Blending your surroundings out and just hearing the water around someone really helps me when I'm stuck with an idea.

You can think for yourself "What if...?", and try to go from there :)

EDIT: Realized now someone else already mentioned it

Start with a basic concept or theme. A topic that interests you and that you can invest time in. Maybe take a drive around the city you live in and find locations you can shoot at. And remember to focus on your character(s) first and foremost. Go people watching at a coffeeshop. Think about that one crazy friend you had and the trouble you guys used to get into.

- Watching shows and thinknig of unexplored ideas briefly mentioned there.
- Music that always strikes a chord with you. What does it make you think of?
- Stories from friends. Take that and make it crazier.
- Extremely bad experiences you've dealt with. Extremely good experiences you've had. Turn them into a short somehow.

Back