Should I wait?

So I'm a Junior in High School and aspiring filmmaker (who has yet to work on films but worked on one play and about to work on another). I have a quick question.

Should I wait until after I'm done with high school until I try out film making?

The sooner you can work on your craft the better. If you start now you'll be way ahead of the curve and you'll have a greater chance at success.

However there is something to be said about keeping a "quality over quantity" body of work. If I could go back to high school I probably would make tons of films, but then never release them anywhere. Once I really had a handle on how to make something really good (probably years later) I'd start putting my work out there for people to see. But that's just a personal preference.

Go for it. Now is the time to find out if it's what you love.

My personal recommendation is to get involved with every project that you can in any capacity that offers itself, in front of and behind the camera. You'll learn lots, both positive and negative.

Shoot on your own with what you have. Have fun, experiment, go crazy.

You may be able to get school credit for projects. Volunteer time is valuable experience and looks great on the resume. You could find projects to help out on if you want to gain experience before sinking lots of time and money on a project. You could also just start shooting stuff. It is easier than ever to make movies and there are so many ways to get involved.

Back