$500 dollar budget for lights

How does someone like myself build a light kit for $500? that is my budget. I already have everything else gear-wise. I just need lights. Can anyone help me? I looked on ebay, but their cheap light kits are too cheap of product, :(. I need someone with heavy knowledge to send me in the right direction. thanks! I know a lot about the professional lights, but nothing about low budget lights, that's my problem!

I'd look at Ebay.

500 LED light for $140
http://www.ebay.com/itm/500-LEDs-Vi...503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257b18b80f

300/500watt Fresnel (Arri knock off) $130
http://www.ebay.com/itm/As-Arri-300...756?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c331c4fdc

1000watt Fresnel (Arri knock off) $130
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000W-As-AR...431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232abfe8e7

3 lights stands $76
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ps-PRO-He...658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231c5ebee2

With this you have a low power LED, a back light and the 1000watt will be you "big" gun. It's not perfect, but not bad for a starter kit.

You still needs some extension cords and gels.

Scott

This is a pointless question unless you give us more information.

What are you shooting? What is your level of experience? What sort of lighting effects are you looking to achieve?

My answers to 'what's the best lighting setup for interviews for $500' and 'how do I light my short film for $500' are going to be vastly different, so it's helpful to clarify.

If you're looking to add a bit of a versatile light for when you just need a kicker or a bit more light, that's going to be very different to if you need to black out a location and light for night, or shoot at night and light for day.

Hi Brandon - I'm a big fan of fluorescent ring lights. See this video from Oliviatech:

http://vimeo.com/26891236

I couldn't afford three of them, so I use one in front for key and fill - and two LEDs in back for back light and hair light.

For $515, you can get two $168 500W equivalent fluorescent ring lights, one $140 500 LED light, plus two light stands for $23 - and a third for $15.

With two ring lights, you should be able to get results similar to Olivia's video or this review: http://www.lafcpug.org/reviews/review_diva_ring.html

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

What are you shooting? Interviews? Docs? Shorts? music vids?

I shoot everything.

This is a pointless question unless you give us more information.

^ This is a bit harsh. I would hope that if I wasn't specific then you would think I mean all of the above. It's people like you that I hardly come here anymore.

My experience is quite a lot, but more on the feature side of things. I've done Visual Effects for 3 years on features. The people I know personally in the industry does not know how to build a low budget system. We are so use to high priced professional gear. I am just searching for the best for my budget. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

^ This is a bit harsh. I would hope that if I wasn't specific then you would think I mean all of the above. It's people like you that I hardly come here anymore.

My experience is quite a lot, but more on the feature side of things. I've done Visual Effects for 3 years on features. The people I know personally in the industry does not know how to build a low budget system. We are so use to high priced professional gear. I am just searching for the best for my budget. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I apologies if I offended you, but to be honest I'm surprised I did, given your involvement in the industry. We all need thick skin to get anywhere.

I also stand by my comment - what you are working on is completely relevant, and what you want out of something is completely relevant, otherwise it's pointless to suggest anything - I might say buy a few small LEDs but if you're looking to light entire scenes on sound stages for 500T film, then that's pretty much a pointless suggestion.

'All of the above' - so interviews? Short films? Sketches? What are you shooting on? What kind of locations and times of day? Do you blackout rooms or are you competing with sun? Etc. etc.

So many variables that have potential to change the answer. Sorry I hurt your feelings, but you see where I'm coming from?

I apologies if I offended you, but to be honest I'm surprised I did, given your involvement in the industry. We all need thick skin to get anywhere.

I also stand by my comment - what you are working on is completely relevant, and what you want out of something is completely relevant, otherwise it's pointless to suggest anything - I might say buy a few small LEDs but if you're looking to light entire scenes on sound stages for 500T film, then that's pretty much a pointless suggestion.

'All of the above' - so interviews? Short films? Sketches? What are you shooting on? What kind of locations and times of day? Do you blackout rooms or are you competing with sun? Etc. etc.

So many variables that have potential to change the answer. Sorry I hurt your feelings, but you see where I'm coming from?

no offense was taken, just pointing out you could have approached it differently. ;)
realistically, the industry prides itself in respect on how we treat one another outside the set. (IF you know what you are doing lol)

I think I have enough suggestions here to point me in the right direction. There isn't much for 500 dollars out there. Most of what I do is heavy visual Effects, even lighting that compliments flat imagery is nice. Cheap lights flicker when you get down to the dynamic range business.

we are shooting a couple C300's and mark III's . if that helps. studio and outside, all times..

realistically, the industry prides itself in respect on how we treat one another outside the set. (IF you know what you are doing lol)
Well, yes - IF you know what you're doing, I've certainly seen some rough treatment of newbies on many sets, and was treated rough by some people when I was a newbie.

I think I have enough suggestions here to point me in the right direction. There isn't much for 500 dollars out there. Most of what I do is heavy visual Effects, even lighting that compliments flat imagery is nice. Cheap lights flicker when you get down to the dynamic range business.

we are shooting a couple C300's and mark III's . if that helps. studio and outside, all times..

This is true - for $500, your options are limited. Many friends of mine have LED litepanels like this:
LED312_200.jpg

Which can work in a pinch, and is good sometimes, but depends on what you are doing. Personally, I hare flat imagery! But then, I'm not doing VFX work I guess so it might be great for you guys. If you're looking for flat studio stuff, maybe look into like a 3-piece redhead kit with softboxes.. Might be something to look into anyway.

I actually think this is a very good question, and one that could help a lot of people. If nobody else answers it, I promise to answer it myself, because I'm in need of a versatile bare-bones light kit. At least one thing I can say is that you can't buy any lights that are actually made for lighting film. This is pretty much strictly a DIY Lowes/Home Depot project!

Home depot sells 5000K daylight balanced compact fluorescent bulbs in standard and flood version by the case. They aren't the brightest lights in the world but can be used in multi-head units with good results.

My Cinematographer always seems to get his lights used. He always seems to find old moles, or arri lights. I would suggest you wait around and check on Craigslist. You will be surprised on what turns up. It would be best not to rush for a cheap light kit and regret later. If you really need to shoot now, perhaps you can borrow or rent. Arri lights are very affordable to rent.

Hope this helps

Best regards
Devin Gibson

Back