Producers/Collaborators Sought: Doc Film On People Living In Cars

Producers/Collaborators Sought: Doc Film On People Living In Cars

Hi there,

My name is Jeff and I am a first-time filmmaker. I have been filming footage of people living in cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs since last fall. I also live in my SUV and film my experience too.

Not having gone to film school, I am seeking producers and collaborators with filmmaking experience to help transform this footage into an actual film.

Here’s why you should work with me:

-Having worked on a major political campaign, I know how to make and confirm definite commitments with excellent follow though
-I live in my SUV making me all the more able to earn trust among fellow vehicle dwellers
-If I am able to make this film, because I live in my SUV, it will be an amazing underdog story
-I am an emerging YouTube personality. My videos have received almost 13,000 views in just 3 months, with almost 700 YouTube friends and 125 subscribers (I have not lost a subscriber yet). The channel is: jeff4justice
-I have hours and hours of original/unique footage on this topic
-I have researched this topic extensively
-This is a timely topic because of the economic crisis

Here’s what I have filmed:

-6 Interviews of people living in vehicles
-2 Interviews of government workers & elected officials who have been engaged with this topic
-5 interviews with people working in nonprofits serving homeless people living in vehicles
-2 interviews with local residents in neighborhoods with people living in vehicles
-2 interviews with local representatives of neighborhood groups in neighborhoods with people living in vehicles
-1 interview with a police officer
-1 town hall meeting on this topic

All interview subjects signed media releases forms.

I have also filmed various footage of vehicles that appear to be lived in, traffic scenes, and various filler footage.

Here’s where I have filmed:
Walnut Creek, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Venice/L.A. - all in CA

Here’s what I need to film more of:

-2 interviews with women living in vehicles
-2 interviews with families living in vehicles
-More racial/cultural diversity of interview subjects
-More in-depth follow along of 2-3 people/couples/families living in vehicles

Also, I just learned of a lawsuit involving people living in vehicles VS. the city of L.A. regarding laws that outlaw living in vehicles. Footage of the court events would be great too!

Equipment used:
-Kodak Zi8 camera
-Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Clipon Mics

A 15 minute clip preview is available.

Like documentaries such as An Inconvenient Truth, Out In The Silence, The Cove, and Food Inc., this documentary has great potential be utilized as a platform for social movement to advocate for safe parking programs (similar to what exists in Santa Barbara and Ventura), the repeal/modification of laws illegalizing sleeping in vehicles, and a network of support for people in this situation.

Thank you for your consideration.

-Jeff

Background:

-Started first visible/viable LGBT group in anti-LGBT Yuba-Sutter area (north of Sacramento) in 2003, led it though end of 2007
-Volunteer recruiter/trainer with NO on 8 campaign in 2008
-Produced NO on Prop 14 Theatre viral vids in 2010
-Employed as security guard over 5 years – this means I have great FBI and CA Dept. of Justice background checks

Last edited:
Jeff,
I'm all the way up in Toronto, Canada. I'd definitely get in touch with you if I were in CA.

I just watched one of your interviews. I have just one piece of advice for you. You should edit the conversations into simple stories. If you post the entire interviews up, they kind of lose the impact.

By the way, this is not expert advice. This is just how I feel. I recently did two interviews and that's how I did the edits, and I found them to be more powerful that way. I'll message you the links for you to take a look.

Good luck with the project.
Aveek

Back