• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

MELODRAMA!!!

What's your initial impression of MELODRAMA?

• I'm intrigued. Good presentation.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm indifferent. Not my thing.

• FAIL.

• I want more info. Film is interesting, presentation is lacking.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
http://kck.st/bOdMv1

There's a knock at your door. At first, it's no one. And then it's your friend. But why is there menace in his voice? Tension in his glare? Why does he talk about your girl as though she was his?

This is the setup to the nightmare evening Tom, an obsessive writer, is about to endure. His best friend Jack shows up in the middle of the night armed with questions and accusations. Small cracks appear in both friends stories. Who is Rachel and what is her hold on both men? Bold blunt dramatics contrast with odd surreal moments. The night chokes back the dawn. Reality buckles under the stress. Tonight it will all come out.

Melodrama.

This was my first film. Back in 2002, Adam Soule, David Heinz, Tom Matthews and myself convened in the then in-the-process-of-renovating apartment located in the building owned by the boss of the video store downstairs where Adam and I both worked. Over the course of four long arduous nights and six more at other locations, we shot the movie. And that was pretty much it for a long time.

Anyone who has tried to make their own movie would probably attest to how difficult a feat filmmaking is. Even if you have a little money or willing volunteers, there are just so many things that can go wrong at every stage of the game. The production itself was quite a slog. And post-production has been a nightmare. The film has been edited at least three times (I've lost count) and plagued with certain technical issues.

And that brings us to you. We are looking to finish this bizarre and wonderful film that has been a passion of ours for years. This movie needs to be given a professional sheen, which includes some special effect shots and soundtrack work. Melodrama needs to be seen, and that mean festival entries (and their fees) and a dvd release.

We have a sound technician on board (Larry Dolan--who is partly responsible for the wonderful music in our pitch video). We have a dvd duplication plan outlined. We have our eye on specific festivals geared more towards the "artsy" sort of film Melodrama is.

Once the funds are raised (and if we exceed our goal, the excess will go into enhancing the film even more and further creative projects!) the film will enter the final phases of post-production. Special effects shots shall be designed and executed. Sometime in July, the film will be brought to Larry Dolan for music, foley and mixing. Once the mix is locked and promo materials finished, Melodrama will be entered in several festivals starting sometime in August.

As the film finds (or doesn't find) success on the festival circuit, the production of the dvd and its special features will continue. A two-disc special edition dvd of the film (the main reward offered for generous pledges) will feature all the goodies we have come to expect from a fully-loaded dvd and even more features reflective of the kind of complex film Melodrama is. A third disc, called "Fragments", will also be developed that will feature short films that expand or comment upon the longer-feature Melodrama.

I probably have gone on too long as it is, so thanks for your time.

Jason Andrew Torrance
(pretentious art-film director)

Vimeo profile: http://www.vimeo.com/onthehill
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/jatorrance

MELODRAMA

uncommercial endeavors presents
an On The Hill Production

Starring
Adam Soule as Jack
Jason Andrew Torrance as Tom
and
David Heinz as Andrew