• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Want to practice filming a scene and using the camera.

Hi all I am just getting into to film making and would love if anyone has any good practice ideas, without using actors, to make a short scene/story? I just want to practice filming a scene and then editing it together that makes a sensible story; without actors, since I don't have them at my disposable. I really want ways to practice film making without other people. any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Welcome to indietalk.
Hi all I am just getting into to film making and would love if anyone has any good practice ideas, without using actors, to make a short scene/story? I just want to practice filming a scene and then editing it together that makes a sensible story; without actors, since I don't have them at my disposable. I really want ways to practice film making without other people. any ideas and suggestions are welcome.
What an interesting challenge!

I never even thought of this as I was learning. I never used actors since I
didn't have any at my disposal but I always used people when I was practicing
film making. I love the challenge of telling a sensible story without people.

Does this mean even YOU cannot be in your practice movie? No people at all
or just no one but you involved?

My creative mind races! I may rise to this challenge and try this myself.

Welcome to indietalk.

What an interesting challenge!

I never even thought of this as I was learning. I never used actors since I
didn't have any at my disposal but I always used people when I was practicing
film making. I love the challenge of telling a sensible story without people.

Does this mean even YOU cannot be in your practice movie? No people at all
or just no one but you involved?

My creative mind races! I may rise to this challenge and try this myself.

Thanks, Technically I can be in it, but I rather not, because I find it ridiculously hard at this stage of my camera ability skills to get good shots while I am not looking at the camera and setting up the tripod just right. So I would really just love to film some type of scene/story with no people at all. This way I can practice my video composition. I really just need practice, but practice I can do alone that give me a goal as well.

I appreciate the positive reinforcement to. and will also borrow some of your positive attitude and look at it as an awesome challenge, hopefully it will put me in a better mind set to do this daunting thing to me as I prep trying to create something

A lot of people have used pets in videos. Some have created story lines and edited shots of pets to fit them.

I remember reading a film book once and it said "If you want to make movies, make movies. Pick up your video camera right now and go make a movie about anything. Have a cat? Make a movie about your cat. Go do it right now. I'll wait". Silly as it sounds, I did just that. I spent the next hour following my family's cat around and cut it together then came back to finish reading lol

Back