How do I get a spaceship into a film?

Hi. I want a spaceship to appear for the climax of my picture. The idea is that it's going to be visible through a window, resting on a small patch of sky, surrounded by tall buildings.

Now, how should I go about this? The spaceship is not going to do much, it'll just be there, it doesn't have to glow. It's going to be covered by a misty fog. I just need enough of it visible for the audience to realize that it's a spaceship.

Now, I don't have any experience so I'm not sure if it's even possible for me to do any of this. If it requires expensive software, designing skill or money then I obviously won't do it. The picture doesn't rely on it so I'll be fine either way. I just thought it might be a nice thing to have.

Thanks for any comments,
-J

Hello. Here you can edit online:
https://www.wevideo.com/

There probably is a KEYING function. Meaning you upload your video footage, then also an image of a UFO. If we say that you have the white UFO on for instance a green background you can then KEY out the green and only the UFO will be left in the film. Blur it a bit and that's it. Render it out and you have a shot of a UFO in your film. That's basically how it works.

If you put the greenscreen outside your window, you can have your characters walk in front of it, etc. If they don't walk in front, you can matte in the window and effect. Obviously, you need to make a ship or put a couple of shapes together (trashcan lid, anything round, etc.). The city will be a separate shot.

You might be able to do this with Filman's link. My workflow is with the Adobe stuff (Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop), other people use Final Cut and Motion, Sony Vegas, etc.

Here's what I just did with some quick stills, with my GoPro:

windowsaucer.jpg

Here are the separate elements:

window.jpg

Last edited:
Back