• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting yourself (on camera)

Hello there,

I have a hunch that this isn't really the place to discuss this kind of filmmaking...
Nevertheless I hope someone is be able to help me or at least give me some pointers.
What I want to do is to create simple (indoor) YouTube-videos of myself (talking), which I will shoot myself.
These will be mostly educational videos.

My own reflections and questions concerning what filming equipment to use are below.
You can read it, or if you have no time a quick summary: what camera should I use?

---

So here it goes: since I will be shooting alone, making a good composition will be difficult if I can't see what's being filmed.
Because I don't want hassle with external monitors, a flip-screen on the camera is essential, right?
As far as my knowledge goes this leaves two options:

1. A consumer camcorder (with external microphone input)
The relatively good battery life is a nice pro, but I have power at my disposal when shooting of course.
Quality-wise very acceptable for educational videos I think.
But still... these things all have x50 optical zoom on average by default :hmm:
These certainly aren't made for this purpose.
Can anyone share experiences? Or recommend me a camera of this kind?

2. DSLRs or other photography-focussed cameras that also support video
For example the Nikon D5100 or Canon D600.
The latter doesn't have video autofocus, is that a problem?
When a whiteboard is filmed there is no problem at all.
When I shoot myself I will remain relatively still, but I still move.
I'm afraid that I will be out of focus if I move slightly considering how close I will be at the camera.

Anyway, I think this is a better choice for me, but I love to hear what you think.
If you can recommend any camera then I'd love to hear that too.

Another important thing I wonder about: what lens should I use? (with my type of videos in mind, of course)
One with a relatively wide aperture I'm guessing (< 2.0) and also a relatively wide angle (< 35mm?).
IS is not needed, because I'll be using a tripod, but may be useful for the occasional handheld shot.

---

So that's it.
I'm a total newbie so the decision what camera to use seems to be a good start.
If you have any remarks or recources concerning recording the audio or lightning for this type of video, please do share them!

Thanks in advance!

Focus is a point in space, if you're standing/sitting a fixed distance from the camera, you'll be in focus. You can either get a flip screen or connect to an external monitor (laptop, tv, dedicated monitor) to adjust your framing. If you have a camera with a smaller chip, or keep your iris closed down (bigger f-stop numbers), you'll have a larger area in which to move that is still in focus.

Most camcorders tend to have a 3-10 x optical, with up to 50x digital zoom... digital zoom is bad. The DSLRs will carry you forward as you progress in your technical prowess as well, which camcorders will not and will require you to repurchase as soon as you bump against their limitations. If you can get a camera package with 2 lenses (canon has kits with the 18-55 and either the 55-200 or the 75-300), you can move from your youtube show to a narrative shoot easily.

Plenty of lighting tutorials for interviews (google 3 point lighting -- or search this forum for that matter), keep the amount of light high so you can close the iris to get longer Depth of Field for focus. Place a microphone stand or a light stand where you'll be and focus/frame using that as a stand in for yourself. Craftsman work lights on stands will work (they spill everywhere, so be prepared to hang some black fabric on walls to absorb the light and stop it from bouncing everywhere -- and some sort of light control to block the light from hitting the back walls)... scoop lights don't provide as much illumination as the work lights, but are slightly easier to control. You can pick up relatively cheap Smith and Victor kits to use or lighting. Learn the "Inverse Square Law" and how it applies to your lighting as a dimmer... or get a dimmer (router speed controller from harbor freight tools - works on any non-fluorescent lights).

Good sound is a bugbear. You'll never get more than decently usable sound on a budget. Microphone close to the speaker's mouth... chest with a wireless lavalier would be best for what you're doing. wireless due to the fact that you'll be A) untethered B) a wired lav that is unbalanced will act as a giant antenna for any stray RF signals flying around. Turn your cell phone to airplane mode or off to avoid bleeding in digital signals to your audio.

To step up from that, Get a nice balanced lav and an XLR recorder that will attach to your belt. You'll want to adopt a good on set workflow to make synching the audio fast (slate or slate app on your phone/tablet, dual recording -- recorder and camera, speak the production name/scene number/take number/clap the slate, syntheyes).

Experiment, test shoot, record you being goofy, whatever it takes to figure out what looks and sounds good for you. Have fun.

Since this will be a dedicated function camera a camcorder will be just fine.
Get anything that shoots 720p or 1080i/p.
Get a camera with manual focus figure out your distance, set the focus, keep the aperture @ 5 - 11 and you're GOLD!
None of that annoying autofocus "WTH am I (the camera) focusing on?" focus hopping around shhhhstuff.

10X zoom will likely be more than sufficient.

Lighting is likely to be a sensible concern.

And audio collection as well. But you've already identified a need for a mic jack, so it looks like you're good there.

Yep, a flip screen is a practical must, but if you do enough of these vids u'll likely not even needing it.
You'll figure out the camera's settings and just go through the routine:
  1. Zoom @ X
  2. Aperture @ Y
  3. Rez @ Z
  4. Frame rate @ W FPS
  5. Shutter speed @ 1/V sec
  6. Focus @ U-meters
  7. Push the "record button" here
  8. Sit my merry biscuits down "here"
  9. Blab till my script/schpeil is done
  10. Push the "stop button" here
  11. Edit the lily.
  12. Save.
  13. Upload under Q-R-S-T parameters/crietria/settings
  14. Annotate and enter keywords
  15. Done-O-laaaaaaaah!

You can probably find a hi-rez webcam and be just fine.

Check out Jenna Marbles on YouTube.
Lotta susbscribers. Lotta views. Not a lotta tech.
(It ain't the camera that's gonna make you popular or well received/viewed! ;))

GL!

Yeah that true,

Number one for youtube video's is certainly skills.

And then the quality. So I think a normal HD camera will be fine.

I am using a GoPro Hero3 Black Edition to film my youtube video's, but I am still a noob haha

I hope you will do better!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont forget to check out theawesomebuilder at youtube ;)

Thank you for your wonderful responses.
I'm trying to find a good and simple setup for YouTube videos (in case you didn't read the first post).

Camera: check

The camera used is indeed a triviality in comparison to the content.
Still, its required to get any content at all :P

I have decided to use a cheap HD webcam for the now.
A great suggestion for so many reasons.
Mainly the fact that it provides usable video quality, is very cheap (< 30 eur/usd) and in contrast to a 200 euro/dollar camcorder, it doesn't hurt to upgrade once the time comes.

The only downside is that I can't learn the more advanced techniques, but on the other hand: this way I can first focus on the content!
Also, they can only capture 30 fps, doesn't that cause flickering in Europe?

The webcam goes directly in my computer, so I can simply turn my laptop around to see the composition. :)
My school gave me a Final Cut Pro license some time ago, I'll be directly recording the video into that.

Audio: kinda check, but indecisive

I was thinking about using a Zoom H1 from a distance to record audio.
But a lavalier with a belt XLR will yield superior audio, am I right?
Syncing will be no problem with FCP, in fact it should auto-sync with the press of a button using my crappy webcam-audio.

I think I would prefer using a shotgun microphone though.
Looks more professional or at least more natural if no microphone is visible in my opinion.
Also, I can attach it to my computer using my audio-in port (just found this out, I'm happy now) so I don't have to sync. :D
If I use a good shotgun, like a Rode NTG-1 on a tripod, the quality should be no concern.

Please correct my if I'm wrong about any of this!

Light: 1/3 check

I found this 500W beauty in my parents' garage (with stand).
Could this be used as key light if I bounce the light on my (white) ceiling?

pooasdfa.jpg

Also, do these always have a good colour temperature?
It looks a bit yellow-ish (taken with 1/1600 shutter speed 80 ISO).

Finding an appropriate back light and a fill light should be doable.
Maybe I can even buy two more of these lamps, only then a bit less powerful.

--

@knightly: Your tips are very clear-cut and very useful.
The ones about aperture I possibly will be able to use later (when/if I upgrade my camera).
I already knew the inverse square law, in physics, didn't know it was also applicable in filmmaking!
Won't comment on all your tips 'n tricks, but they will be put to practice, so thanks for taking your time to comment.
One final note, I didn't know what to google for, but '[search term here] interview' seems to work better than '[search term here] shoot yourself'.
Like 'shoot yourself with a shotgun :lol:'

@rayw & TheAwesomeBuilder: Again, I love the idea to use a HD webcam.
Very much liked your responses, thought-provoking.
Nope, the camera isn't going to make entertain, educate or inform an audience.
Not that I aim at being popular.
Instead I want to have fun and indeed, as you (rayw) say, to be well received (meaning at least some will appreciate the videos and the work put into them).

@TheArtist: I'm willing to spend as much as needed (< $1000).
Now I've decided to go for a cheap camera, my budget has become irrelevant.
I only need two more lights and a good microphone setup and I'm done.

Last edited:
You don't need two more light. Start having fun with just one light. You'll know when is a good time to get a second one. And then a third one.

If that one is too yellow, you can get some CTB gel online. They are fairly cheap.

For the sound, take a tour on the different posts by Alcove. I think that for indoors you're supposed to get a hypercardoid mic for best results. Alcove must have given some low budget options that are very decent but can't remember them.

I think Nanalew uses a work light too to light herself when she vlogs (check her out on YouTube, I think she has one of the most beautiful looking vlogs).

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist any more.

Shooting yourself

tarantino-gun-to-head.jpg

When it comes to audio you need specific tools and techniques for specific situations. One constant is, no matter what the audio situation, you want to get the mic in as close as possible. The second constant is someone should ALWAYS be monitoring the audio.

What will you be shooting mostly? If you are doing narrative work boomed mics are probably the way you want to go. If you're doing talking heads then lavs may be a better choice.

Even low/no/mini/micro budget audio is going to set you back a fair chunk of change. Production sound is a combination of "You get what you pay for" and your knowledge, experience & skill-set. Budget gear requires more skill/experience/technique to get quality sound.

My first recommendation is to hire a professional. Since this is beyond the budget of most indie filmmakers my next recommendation is to hook up with an ambitious up-and-comer. S/he will (hopefully) have better gear, and (again, hopefully) a little more experience.

The big joke, as far as I am concerned, is that so many indie types buy the "right" gear and book-learn proper techniques, and then once they get on the set hand all the audio off to whichever PA isn't busy (so immediately whatever the indie filmmaker has learned about audio immediately becomes irrelevant). But then they're surprised when their audio sucks.

Now, on to specifics for your situation.

What I want to do is to create simple indoor videos of myself (talking)

This is a basic "talking heads" scenario.

I was thinking about using a Zoom H1 from a distance to record audio.

Then your audio will sound like it's coming from a distance; it won't sound much better than the onboard DSLR or camcorder mic.

But a lavalier with a belt XLR will yield superior audio, am I right?

Depends upon the lav, the transmitter/receiver, the mixer, the recorder and how effectively the lav was placed. FYI, for narrative projects most dialog editors and rerecording mixers go for the boomed mic first, providing, of course, that is was properly aimed, correctly gain-staged and you have good noise reduction available.

If you are just sitting a wired lav will do the job. If you are moving around you may need a wireless lav.

I think I would prefer using a shotgun microphone though.
If I use a good shotgun, like a Rode NTG-1 on a tripod, the quality should be no concern.

Why? If you are shooting indoors a hypercardioid mic would be preferable. A proper mic boom would probably be more effective.

478220a_m.jpg

Looks more professional or at least more natural if no microphone is visible in my opinion.

Again, why? Since you are doing a talking head shot most people will accept a visible mic. Don't sacrifice good sound - and all you are going to be doing is talking, right? - for the sake of a "look" in the specific situation. There are many shows on cable where there is a (relatively large) mic visible. Even the big network newsies have a lav mic visible.

MikeFrancesaAngry-300x210.png

s-MEGYN-KELLY-large300.jpg

mic-lav1.jpg

Also, I can attach it to my computer using my audio-in port

Perhaps, but the sound is going to be about three steps below crap quality. Besides, most even half-way decent mics will require phantom power, and the audio input or headphone jack can't provide phantom power. You can use your USB port with an adapter like the Blue Icicle ($50), which supplies phantom power and has a basic gain control.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571273-REG/Blue_ICICLE_Icicle_USB_Microphone.html

Syncing will be no problem with FCP, in fact it should auto-sync with the press of a button using my crappy webcam-audio.

I'm assuming that you have PluralEyes or something similar, or you have experience with manual syncing.

Last edited:
First of all, I think it's great that you're asking these questions, and doing your research, instead of just lazily recording your vlog with the first thing available. That being said, I do agree that the content of your vlog is going to be the only thing that matters much, so long as we can clearly see and hear you. I've seen plenty of vlogs, ones with huge followings, that were clearly shot with nothing more than a consumer-level camcorder (in fact I'd say most of them are).

Which, I think you can get away with that just fine, so long as you tend to speak clearly and loudly. A good light source will definitely be a benefit. You're very smart to think about bouncing it off the ceiling, and you should also perhaps consider diffusing it (maybe both). A plain white sheet works great for diffusion, just be really careful how you set it up (those lights get HOT, and a sheet will catch fire if too close to the light).

As for audio, I think Alcove is steering you in the right direction. It's a vlog, nobody is gonna care if they can see a lav attached to your shirt. Heck, they might actually be impressed by the realization that you're professional enough to use a mic, instead of just yelling into the camcorder mic like pretty much every other vlogger is doing. Syncing audio isn't difficult, but if you can record it directly to your camera, I think you'd probably much prefer that in the long run.

Good luck!

So I asked a microphone shop if they had specific microphones they recommend.
Ready to buy whatever they pointed at.
Explained the situation: indoor, used for recording a monolog for a vlog.
Told them I'd prefer an out-of-frame solution, with a hypercardioid mic like you recommended me, but if that would compromise too much quality with my budget, I'd go for a lavalier.

What did they recommend me?
A shotgun microphone! Insisting that a shotgun and a hypercardioid mic are the same thing. :weird:
You told using a shotgun for this is a bad idea, this guy also explains why, just like a lot of other websites and videos.
Now I'm really clueless.

---

About the lav thing:

Since you are doing a talking head shot most people will accept a visible mic. Don't sacrifice good sound - and all you are going to be doing is talking, right? - for the sake of a "look" in the specific situation. There are many shows on cable where there is a (relatively large) mic visible. Even the big network newsies have a lav mic visible.
It's a vlog, nobody is gonna care if they can see a lav attached to your shirt. Heck, they might actually be impressed by the realization that you're professional enough to use a mic, instead of just yelling into the camcorder mic like pretty much every other vlogger is doing.
I may be irrational looking for a non-visible mic solution, I know it isn't more professional, you're right saying it's less professional.
But in fact I don't want to look professional. [1]
Also, it's much harder to record audio direct in your computer using a lav (inexpensive). [2]
I don't like having a mic attached while talking [3] or having to attach a mic every time I want to talk. [4]
Furthermore, the vast majority of the vlogs on YouTube have no visible microphone and still have acceptable sound quality.
Another solution is possible [5], so why not go for that?
But how do they do it? Million-dollar question.

I suspect a USB microphone is what I should be looking for.
A USB microphone is cheap and I don't have to fiddle with phantom power, XLR et cetera.
Can they be used while talking standing? / Can they be used from a distance without sounding distant? (/utterly crap).

Last edited:
Insisting that a shotgun and a hypercardioid mic are the same thing.
Now I'm really clueless.

Nope, it was your sales guy who was clueless. It comes down to acoustics and physics. Search the forums for Polar Patterns and you'll learn why a hypercardioid is preferred over a shotgun for indoors work.

About the lav thing: I may be irrational looking for a non-visible mic solution, I know it isn't more professional, you're right saying it's less professional. But in fact I don't want to look professional.

Yes, insisting on a non-visible solution is irrational. Do you want good sound or don't you?

Also, it's much harder to record audio direct in your computer using a lav (inexpensive).

Nope, it's not any harder to deal with than any other mic.

I don't like having a mic attached while talking or having to attach a mic every time I want to talk.

Why is that? It's going to take all of two minutes to wire yourself up.

Furthermore, the vast majority of the vlogs on YouTube have no visible microphone and still have acceptable sound quality.

So what if others don't use a visible mic? And 90% of the vlogs I've seen/heard DO NOT have acceptable sound as far as I'm concerned.

I suspect a USB microphone is what I should be looking for. A USB microphone is cheap and I don't have to fiddle with phantom power, XLR et cetera. Can they be used while talking standing? / Can they be used from a distance without sounding distant? (/utterly crap).

That all depends upon the mic, the mic placement, your room (whether or not it is very ambient), your voice projection and a bunch of other permutations.

OK, you convinced me, I just bought a lavalier.
A RØDE smartLav that is.

Good to start with in my opinion, its yields a decent signal to noise ratio.
Taking in consideration the price of course, this solution costs me just 60 dollars, I already have an iPod with which it is compatible (no need for beltpack and receiver or recorder like a Zoom H1).
When the time comes I can always upgrade.

Can't wait to start recording when it arrives wednesday.
Again, I would like to thank everyone who gave me advice here, I sure learnt a lot! :)

Will be posting advancements here, if you don't mind.

OK, you convinced me, I just bought a lavalier.
A RØDE smartLav that is.

Good to start with in my opinion, its yields a decent signal to noise ratio.
Taking in consideration the price of course, this solution costs me just 60 dollars, I already have an iPod with which it is compatible (no need for beltpack and receiver or recorder like a Zoom H1).
When the time comes I can always upgrade.

Can't wait to start recording when it arrives wednesday.
Again, I would like to thank everyone who gave me advice here, I sure learnt a lot! :)

Will be posting advancements here, if you don't mind.

i believe its a good starting purchase, i also intend to purchase one for rush jobs...

So I got the RØDE SmartLav today! It sounds just as good as my Apple earbuds.
I think Apple earbuds have the cheapest possible microphone imaginable, so... nope I don't think the Røde is any good.

There is a terrible amount of hiss on the background.
Tried various sampling rates, if it matters.
I don't have a sound studio, obviously, but even though I think it should be able to record in this condition!

Any tips to get decent audio out of this mic?
Except from 'get a decent microphone with recorder', well, no you can say that too if that's how it is.

EDIT: Noise reduction with Audacity => no hiss anymore :D
Lets compare again.

Last edited:
Any tips to get decent audio out of this mic?
Except from 'get a decent microphone with recorder', well, no you can say that too if that's how it is.

Well, then you've eliminated the only possibility of improving your sound.:D

Keep in mind that the Rode SmartLav is intended for use with iPhones and similar low fidelity devices. It's tough to screw in flat head screws with a Phillips screwdriver.

Please describe IN EXCRUCIATING, BORING, MINUTE DETAIL exactly what device you are plugging it into*, device settings, cables, etc., etc., etc. Perhaps you have gain-staging problems, placement problems, impedance problems or some other issue, or even a combination of a few of the potential issues. There are myriads of potential mistakes you might be making.

QUALITY audio is never plug-and-play; or, in this case, plug-and-record. You need to select the right tools and implement them in the correct way.

*Please don't say "My computer." Give make, model, specific input you are using, etc. OS *.*.*, software *.*.*.

Back