Evil Dead (2013) Audio

Was watching some behind the scenes on youtube of the new evil dead, although not to intreated in the remake I do enjoy watching things like this. what intrigued me the most was what I saw with the audio. I saw a man holding a boom that had to be at least 15 feet long, I mean DAMN! not only that but dude had the mic so far above the actors and actress's heads that I could only wonder how the hell he was picking any one up. completely baffled me.

The extra long boom (actually, that's fairly standard for experienced boom-ops) keeps him out of frame. He is also extraordinarily good at aiming correctly; that's why he's so well paid and working on big-budget projects. They are probably also using a long shotgun mic, which is even more directional than a standard shotgun mic.

They are also doing all of the other proper production sound procedures for big-budget films. The actors are most probably wired with lavs as well. The new Lectrosonics transmitters are completely water/sweat proof, and very, very small.

lectrosonics_sm.jpg

It's most likely paired with a CountryMan B6 lav or equivalent.

counb6.jpg

(As the man said, if you have to ask, you can't afford it....)

In addition to the great gear they are probably capturing dialog wilds. Then, in audio post, the dialog editor works his magic with alts and wilds. And, of course, ADR is always an option, and having a pilot/guide track, whether the DX editor uses alts, wilds or ADR, makes sync one hell of a lot easier.

Suprised that there is no interference between the shot gun and the Lavs, would really love to one day get my hands on somthing up above but aren't Lavs known for picking up noises caused by shirts and stuff? Ahhhhh thats probably why the Boom op is there for extra audio.

Maybe the director also had some say. I had to boom higher than I was suppose to with a standard shotgun, cause the director told me too, for his wide shots, on the last short I worked on.

Surprised that there is no interference between the shot gun and the Lavs,

Nope, no interference; the shotgun is (usually) hard-wired and high end wireless systems are frequency agile.

aren't Lavs known for picking up noises caused by shirts and stuff?

If it's placed with a lot of care (by a professional) that's not a huge issue 85% of the time. On professional shoots the production sound crew works very tightly with wardrobe and hair, and a lot of testing goes on prior to starting the shoot itself.

Ahhhhh thats probably why the Boom op is there for extra audio.

When you do the dialog edit you choose one or the other.

Back