Audio softweare.

I was able to get my actors and actress together todo a re shoot of the low audio scenes, lucky they weren't very long and were one or two lines. However I am in need of some good audio software. Does anybody know of any decent audio soft wear out there? I heard audacity is great but looking for some pro type feedback.

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. For bare-minimum basics, Audacity will suit your needs.
If you want to do sound design and sound editing then you'll need some more substantial software that can handle non-destructive editing and high-end plugins for reverb and mixing.
Personally I use REAPER, it's $60 and has a ton of things that could help get you started, though any one you pick up is a good starting point.
Before you buy anything make sure it has a video-sync engine of some kind or you're stuck editing sound without being able to see the video.

As always, you get what you pay for.

Audacity is pretty good for a free DAW. But it's not great; it is woefully lacking in features, especially those needed for audio post.

I know lots of folks like Reaper; however, quite a few I've talked with have mentioned video playback issues (among other audio post related problems).

The M-Audio line of Pro Tools starts at around $250; you get Pro Tools Express software and a very basic USB audio interface. Pro Tools will also work with other audio interfaces, but not quite as seamlessly as with Avid products, especially on PC platforms.

Digital Performer and Nuendo are the other major competitors. There are other DAWS that do an okay job on audio post such as Cubase, Ableton Live, Sonar and a few others, although they are more music oriented and could possibly have video playback issues.

The one big reason to go with PT is you are compatible with 99% of the audio post houses out there. Another is that, even if you are using PT Express, almost everything you learn will be applicable to full blown HD systems - the basic structure is the same, so you're not learning a new software.

Besides the software (Softwear? Is that something like a digital sweater?) you need some decent speakers and a relatively quiet, treated environment. One mic of good quality is very helpful as well.

As always talent, knowledge, skill and experience go a long way.

I'm sure you know the old joke about owning a boat; it's a hole in the water into which one pours money. Well, audio post is sort of the same way when you're getting started - it's a hole in your basement (bedroom, living room, whatever) into which you pour money. But if you seriously want to pursue sound-for-picture, more specifically audio post, there are some things that you absolutely must have.

Back