Professional video camera with $5K budget recommendations

Hello! I am in the process of setting myself up to put to film a short film idea - both reality and animation - using an iMac and Final Cut Studio for editing etc. I want to get myself a decent camera - and have a few questions. I will be filming in both day and night. I have around $5k to spend (if I have to):

1. I want to be able to film in 24p. That's pretty much my main criteria. I don't want to pay more for features on the camera that I can recreate using FCS, so less complexity is better - e.g. I don't need a camera with all the bells and whistles - I'd rather the $$ went towards quality of the camera / lense etc that having every gizmo built in.

2. Can I get decent audio built into the camera for this or will I need to use an external mic whatever type of camera I get? And if so, any tips?

3. I would also like to get a tripod in this budget.

I hope that is enough info to go on - I'd be interested to know what you might recommend if I said "here's $5k and my requirements, what would YOU get"?

No doubt I've not listed some things fundamental to helping you advise, so please ask and I'll add more info as needed.

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Witloal

5K for the whole short, for the camera? The canon T2i can shoot 24p and only costs around $1000. If you're looking for a camera that can record decent sound though, that one won't and you would have to get a separate recorder.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses. The 5K is for the camera, tripod, (shoulder rest?), and audio if I need it. How is the Sony FS100's sound? Just had a lustful look online - thanks for the idea I will check it out.

If that's your budget for all your equipment, I'd probably plan on only spending between $2500-$3000 on the camera (with accessories), with the rest going for audio and lighting. You could either get a really sweet DSLR setup for that amount or a decent pro-sumer type video camera. There are advantages to either. Even with that kind of budget, I'd still probably opt for a Panasonic GH1 or GH2 (if you can find the latter) and then just get accessories and lenses.

I'm not an audio expert by any means, so I'll leave specifics up to someone with more knowledge, but you'll probably want an external sound recorder and a boom mic setup. That can run you anywhere from ~$500 up to a couple thousand or more.

A DIY light kit can be put together for less than $100, or you can spend thousands. If you're going to scrimp anywhere, I'd say do it on lights. You can shoot around the available light (ie, lots of outdoor daytime shots). Put your money into audio and a good camera (as an aside, DSLRs tend to do really well in low light conditions, which helps if you're not going to invest a lot in lights right away).

Also, yes, I'm totally trying to win points with the audio people on the board. :D

I bought the T2i camera, the Rode NTG-3 mic, and the FR2L3 sound recorder, all for $2600. I was told that was a good quality combo, if that works for your project. I am planning on getting a cardioid mic for the similar price to the Rode, once I find the right one.

If you're going to scrimp anywhere, I'd say do it on lights. You can shoot around the available light (ie, lots of outdoor daytime shots). Put your money into audio and a good camera (as an aside, DSLRs tend to do really well in low light conditions, which helps if you're not going to invest a lot in lights right away).

I completely disagree. If anywhere, with a $5k budget, I'd say "scrimp" when it comes to the camera and get a decent light kit. A $500 DSLR with proper lighting will blow away the $5000 FS100 without any lighting. Just because DSLRs are capable of shooting in low light doesn't mean they'll give a great cinematic image without lighting.

I completely disagree. If anywhere, with a $5k budget, I'd say "scrimp" when it comes to the camera and get a decent light kit. A $500 DSLR with proper lighting will blow away the $5000 FS100 without any lighting. Just because DSLRs are capable of shooting in low light doesn't mean they'll give a great cinematic image without lighting.

Indeed. Spend little on the camera, get two or three good lenses, and spend little on light as well.

Rent the lights if you can, and if you can't, buy something that you can control. If you get CHina Balls, make skirts for them. They are only good for ambient light, and you should have proper temperature if you're using them.

If you have 5K to spend, only spend 2.5K of it. Save the rest.

Thank you. This advice is helpful i.e. to make me think more about my priorities (lighting? audio? camera?) etc. I appreciate all your thoughts and input.

It is also good to get specific camera / lighting kit / audio recommendations if you feel these are areas that YOU would go for, within my budget. This helps me then search them out on google and do further research.

So if you have further specific preferred / recommended products, please let me know as well!

I think the FS100 has built in mic, so sound is covered. :D

Anyone who thinks this was is in for serious audio problems. I know that you meant it as a joke, but newbs may not be aware that you are kidding, even with the little smiley face. :D

A (barely) passable basic audio kit can be put together for around $1k, going up to $2,500 will yield very nice results.

Here's my version of a passable low-budget production sound kit:

Marantz PMD-661 w/case

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...MD661_PMD661_Professional_Portable_Flash.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._AR_PMD661_AR_PMD661_Audio_Recorder_Case.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503090-REG/Tekkeon_MP3450_MP3450_myPower_ALL_Universal.html

Audio-Technica AT-897 Shotgun Kit

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300615-REG/Audio_Technica_AT897_AT897_Short_Condenser.html

Audio-Technica AT4053b Hypercardioid Microphone

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4053b_Hypercardioid_Condenser_Microphone.html

You'll also need some nice headphones.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49510-REG/Sony_MDR_7506_MDR_7506_Headphone.html

Add a few extra XLR cables, a good case for everything else and some insurance this totals under $2,500.

Back