Question about combat training for actors.

I have an actor interested in playing the lead role the script I wanna shoot. He will be playing a cop, so and wants to take a combat course for the role. So out of all the martial arts types you can take, which one would be the best for him to replicate police moves, as realistically as possible? Where we live he can take, ninjitsu, karate, tae kwon do, or maybe kung fu too, but not sure if that still have that. Which art is the closest, that is if anyone here knows or has dealt with this before for movies. Thanks.

It will be a while before I make the feature like I said before, I need lots of practice, but a lot of times it can take months to train an actor so we have no problem starting now.

Last edited:
It is extremely unusual for a filmmakers' first short to involve any money, whatsoever. Everyone should be volunteer, and the jobs that you can't find volunteers for, you do yourself. So, be prepared to produce, write, direct, operate camera, edit, and anything else. You'll need volunteer actors. You'll need a volunteer boom-op (and if you can't get a volunteer boom-op, just accept that you'll have crappy audio, and use in-cam mic).

Totally agree. I'm 20 now, My first film was made with a hand hold camera at the zoo when i was 12, it was just a chase seen, ported the video into windows movie maker and learnt it, spent 2 days figuring everything out.

Since then, i've worked with crew small and large, i would borrow friends mac to edit, borrow the church's camera to film, bought a roll or normal cloth and hang it with tape on the wall for green screen, took desk lamp with extension cord outside to use as lighting for night scene, tied the camera mic to a broom stick for boom, won small awards at festivals, here and there. I wouldn't say i'm anything compared to most of the people on this forum, but i'd say i had a fair share of film making. I graduated from windows movie maker to imovie, till now i'm fluent in adobe production suite and almost 10 years later still hasn't spent a penny (apart from money for Computer and Software)

The point is, you don't need money to make things good. And don't look at it as a big project or look at it as a chore, just go and have fun. I'm sure you hang out with friends sometimes right? Instead of watching basketball game, or play X-box, or party, or whatever you do. Grab them and go "hey, lets make a movie". There's so much to learn, and you may even inspire your friends to get interested in film making too.

Totally agree. I'm 20 now, My first film was made with a hand hold camera at the zoo when i was 12, it was just a chase seen, ported the video into windows movie maker and learnt it, spent 2 days figuring everything out.

Since then, i've worked with crew small and large, i would borrow friends mac to edit, borrow the church's camera to film, bought a roll or normal cloth and hang it with tape on the wall for green screen, took desk lamp with extension cord outside to use as lighting for night scene, tied the camera mic to a broom stick for boom, won small awards at festivals, here and there. I wouldn't say i'm anything compared to most of the people on this forum, but i'd say i had a fair share of film making. I graduated from windows movie maker to imovie, till now i'm fluent in adobe production suite and almost 10 years later still hasn't spent a penny (apart from money for Computer and Software)

The point is, you don't need money to make things good. And don't look at it as a big project or look at it as a chore, just go and have fun. I'm sure you hang out with friends sometimes right? Instead of watching basketball game, or play X-box, or party, or whatever you do. Grab them and go "hey, lets make a movie". There's so much to learn, and you may even inspire your friends to get interested in film making too.

I am trying to get them interested but it's hard to get them to practice. I have one that wants to though and me and her will make a short.

I am trying to get them interested but it's hard to get them to practice. I have one that wants to though and me and her will make a short.

Forget loads of practice, just go and do, that will be prectice enough. We recently shot a short film at college and we didn't practice at all, we just shot and we all had loads of fun doing it. Trust what everyone here is saying, just get out there and film things, i'm going to be filming a film that literally just involves me and possibly my brother if i can peel him off of the xbox for 20 minutes.

Back