movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

I've a gory story in mind and wanted a decent idea of what directors could get away within the MPAA 'R' rating category.
This gore junk ain't my usual bag, but when critically analyzing these films I'm surprised at how suggestive the shots are rather than all out disgusting.
A lot of brief frame number edits of the graphic stuff and a lotta just-off-camera shots.

FWIW, I watched most of each of these with the subtitles turned on and fast-forwarded 2X.

Halloween (2007 by Rob Zombie) - 5/10
Agree with many of the critics that say the first third is good, but it all falls apart when the child goes to the asylum and then as an adult. Then it turns been-there-done-that-unremarkable meh-fest.
It was nice seeing a lot of industry character actors in there. (Kinda like what Stallone did with Expendables.)

Halloween II (2009 by Rob Zombie) - 4/10
Completely different feel to it.
Total meh-fest.
You got better things to do or watch, surely.
(Also, same budget, less than half the revenue from the predecessor.)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006 prequel to the 2003 remake) - 6/10
If you just enjoy gory documentaries of stupid people doing weird sh!t you might like this more than I did.
Frankly, if Jordana Brewster wasn't so [expletive] good to look at I would've watched more of it in FF mode.
thetexa0_a.jpg

Technically and visually it was done well.
Story's just stupid.

The Hills Have Eyes II ( 2007 sequel to the 2006 film) 2/10
Snore.
Stupid scenario.
Mutants look terrible, and not in an impressive way.
Could have been better.
IDK WhereTH the budget was spent.
Wes Craven. (chuckle)

The Collection (2012 sequel to the 2009 film) - 3/10
More ridiculous and implausible splatter thriller gruel.
The title and premise are poorly developed.
The point, purpose, and motivation are elusive.
It's a crazy guy in an attrition film.
Yay. (Yawn)

Seven Psychopaths - 2/10
Turned it off or forgot the ending... musta turned it off. I don't remember that ending.
Too boring.
Another 'The Watch': "Let's put a bunch of well knowns in a film, It'll sell tickets just on their names alone!"
F#ckers.

Last edited:
Iron Man III - 8.5/10
Fairly decent entertainment.
Certainly different from its two predecesors in mood and story complexity.
It kinda sorta runs around in more of a thriller sort of way.
Impressed with the potential of Pepper Potts' development.
Watched in 2D and didn't regret it one bit.

P.S. May I recommend 'The Watch' for you, in that case? :)

You mean that super-awesome alien sci-fi buddy comedy?

Seven Psychopaths hardly compares to it though. I felt it was a very enjoyable film and that Sam Rockwell totally stole the show with his performance. I thought it was an interesting story and although very weird and a bit slow in parts, was overall well paced and fun.

Evil Dead (2013) - NO SPOILERS

Name the latest film you watched, or re-watched and give it a rating. A 1-10 scale seems about right. Feel free to use letter grades if you must.

Share your thoughts!

I took my 16 year old son to see the new "reimaging" of the Evil Dead franchise. Being one of the biggest fans of this series, I thought they'd honor it in some small way, but sadly, they didn't.

For the first time in my life, I actually wrote a letter to FilmDistrict, Ghost House Pictures and TriStar Pictures expressing my disgust over the fact that they would use the good name of a well established franchise to cash in on the name, distributing what was one of the top five worse films ever created.

Big screen or not, it was the most ungroovy mass of celluloid ever assembled and demanded (NOT MONEY!) 91 minutes of my short life left. I gave them the sob story about me being a cancer patient and having every minute count.

My reply from them? Nothing. They've got my money now so why would they give two shits about me?

As much as I love film, this production hurt me to the point that I don't want to go back to the theatre... unless I was watching my own creation, that is.

Eff Hollywood and their inability to grasp obvious common sense and follow the almighty dollar anywhere... even over the cliff with all the other Lemmings.

Rob

This must be the Place. Liked it. Like your review, Josh. Great song. Recommend.

La Mission. Nice. Heartfelt. Good acting. Thoughtful. Recommend.

The General's Daughter. Decent. Travolta shines. Found myself thinking that I didn't care for the lighting much of the time. Pretty much recommend.

Winter's Bone. Second viewing. Excellent movie. Is that in America? Know it is. Excellent slice of life thriller. Dale Dickey. Wow. I'd give her a job in a heartbeat, if it were in my power. John Hawkes. Big fan of John Hawkes. I'd give him a job in a heartbeat, if I could. And of course Jennifer Lawrence is great.

Last edited:
THE NUMBERS STATION 2013: was a good movie, mostly set on one location John Kusak portrays an FBi agent, who has to protect his asset, as turns go, they were a little obvious but was still a decent film 6.5/10

Iron Sky - 2/10
I was sorely disappointed in this.
Turned it off after about twenty minutes.
Just lame.

Flight - 6.5/10
Meh.
A well executed drama. There. Howzat?
Been there. Done that. Lovely SFX. Wouldn't watch it again in ten years.

Land of the Dead - 4/10
Meh.
If you just LOVVVVVVE zombie movies or have a woody for Romero you gotta see it.
Well executed perfunctory story.
Zzzzz. Turned it off halfway.

In Time - 5/10
Meh.
It's like 'Gattaca' not-as-well-done.
On the one hand, if this is supposed to be a hyperbole about class warfare then it's lame.
If this is viewed as a second of a whole genre of pseudo-near future where semi-existential points are explored and criticized in film then it gets a little more tolerable.

A Haunted House - 7/10
Maybe I'm tired and need more sleep. Maybe that's why I chuckled so much during this poorly received film.
It's a great example of what a low budget (Hollywood version) film should be.
"Baby, you gonna be bigger than Charlie bit my finger." :lol:
Lotta funny writing in there.

Cloud Atlas - 6.5/10
Fairly interesting film.
Watched it twice just to pick up on the story details. ;)
Wachowski's did a good job NOT making this look like a 'Matrix' variant.
Always excellent visuals, the six stories across a few centuries are mostly conveyed well enough to make good links between them - thus the double viewing (so, I cared enough!), and the music was... I don't remember it, honestly, which is odd since that's one of the greatest recognitions the film attained. :weird:
Beyond the film: Plot summary on the novel is also interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Atlas_(novel)#Plot_summary

Dark Skies - 5/10
Tedious and only mildly interesting subject material. (AKA: FF X2 w/ subtitles on.)
My personal preference in films is a story where the first scene is as engaging as the last, like eating a hot dog or hamburger. I don't really care for these "It gets more interesting as it goes along and culminates into a big event" stories, like eating a cr@p sandwich with assurances it'll get better by the last few bites! :no:
"Slow burn" I believe they're called.
Yeah, I don't care for them.
I think husband was miscast for some guy I wouldn't believe Keri Russell's character would be married to. :lol:

Hunger - grim dirty and quite riveting, especially the portrayal of the various guards and police. Fassbender zings throughout and the 17minute single shot scene with Liam Cunningham is blast of acting brilliance. Enjoyed McQueen pushing the limits of shot length. A fascinating story from one of the UKs darkest periods. 7.5/10

Start of the Benjamin Button was quite strong, but then it started to go downhill from there.

Now I did watch:

Senna
5/5 Just great, interesting documentary.

Wayne's World
5/5 I havent seen this movie in 22 years, if I remember correctly I saw this in cinema 1993.
It still works:) Ed O´Neill is great in his small role. It was also nice to spot Lee Tergesen from Oz.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
3/5 Dunno what to say about this. A lot of complaints, but I personally did like this. Then end suffers from too much cgi and the movie is a bit over the top sometimes. But still, I wasn´t actually too disapointed about the movie.

Christine
3/5 Never seen this one before, I have to say it was quite cool movie. I do have a lot of good things to say about John Carpenters director skills in this era and this fits nicely with set of good movies he did in that time.

Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning

3/5 I actually work in the same university where parts of this movie is shot :) Funny, small indie film. It helps alot if you understand finnish, then you will get the jokes. Best thing about this movie is how childish idiot Emperor Pirk actually is.

Back