movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

You mean "read" ? The swedish adaptation is really not worth it.

Got to agree with this.

Noomi Rapace makes for a very good Lisbeth Salander and Michael Nyqvist likewise but it was originally going to be a TV movie and those production values along with a really laboured pacing mean that it is, for me, significantly inferior to Fincher's version.

Snow White: A Tale of Terror. I've long wanted to see this one, and since it's available on Netflix, I finally have. Not bad, fairly good. Maybe a 6 or a 7. Seems kind of appropriate to finally see it now with Mirror Mirror on the way which looks like it will be pretty fun.

The Rum Diary - 7/10 - not too bad but needed some work prior to release. Still not bad

I saw the Rum Diary today. I would only give it about 5 and I think thats generous. There didn't seem to be much of a plot and it just wandered around everywhere with too many loose ends. I found the pace just plodded along. Also made me want to give up drinking.

I was so disappointed with Rum Diary. Honestly I would give it a 3 out of ten at most. And I'm a fan of Thompson.

There was something about it that just didn't capture the mood of the book. It was like they were filming the events in the book from an outside perspective and it was just odd and depressing. The reason Fear and Loathing worked was because you spent the movie pretty much in Hunter's head, so from his perspective, everything was artful and interesting (and yes, odd and strange, but in a good way.) Rum Diary just didn't capture it. I felt embarrassed for Johnny Depp. He's been working on this for years.

I was so disappointed with Rum Diary. Honestly I would give it a 3 out of ten at most. And I'm a fan of Thompson.

There was something about it that just didn't capture the mood of the book. It was like they were filming the events in the book from an outside perspective and it was just odd and depressing. The reason Fear and Loathing worked was because you spent the movie pretty much in Hunter's h ead, so from his perspective, everything was artful and interesting (and yes, odd and strange, but in a good way.) Rum Diary just didn't capture it. I felt embarrassed for Johnny Depp. He's been working on this for years.

Though I haven't watched Rum Diary, I read that, yes, it was made for on and off for years, nearly a decade I think. Any how, it's just sad to hear that you didn't like it.

@Nick What did you not like about Silent House? The Olson family is known WORLDWIDE as being extremely talented actors.

@Nick What did you not like about Silent House? The Olson family is known WORLDWIDE as being extremely talented actors.

In sneaky self-promotion mode, if you click the title of the movie you get to read my full review ;)

But to put it concisely: I really liked Elizabeth Olsen in Martha Marcey May Marlene and I hear she's really good in Liberal Arts (not sure that Mary Kate is in the same ballpark, Ashley having officially retired from acting). It's just that the film gives no chance to emotionally invest in the characters- they're just names walking round a house and because it's 'indie' and 'artie' there's very little dialogue which, in a horror film, means little characterisation. But also, for a horror film, it's not at all scary and the plotting is muddled and confused and the ending very unsatisfying. I was more confused at the end than I was during the film, when the disturbances are unexplained.

I thought it was a very weak horror movie.

BWAHAH!

I was saying that sarcastically of course :)

Cool - thanks for the info on it. I will not be watching it, now.

I watched THE ART OF FLIGHT,

awesome documentary if you're a snowboarder or like watching athletic things.

Immortals - 6/10

I have only very recently determined a personal understanding of the difference between "A good film" and "A film that I enjoy."

This film is to be appreciated as as a work of art, but not as a piece of entertainment in the modern sense.
To appreciate it, a viewer should bring to the table both an understanding of Tarsem Singh's past work and a vision of the source material as a religious story, dry and boring as they often are.

As strict contemporary entertainment in the sensory gluttony sense this film fails.
As a well told ancient stage play of an interpretation of Greek mythology this film excels.

If you wanted to, you could compare this to Sucker Punch which was also beautiful with a lame story - but that film felt like no more than a hodge-podge of "cool sh!t" just to pander to an specific market, whereas Immortals seemed more of a respect and appreciation for history.

With some reservation, I would say this is "A good film", but it is not one that "I enjoy."

It's like comparing tea to soft drinks.
This is fine tea but a terrible soft drink.

The story is dry and boring.
It's execution - in Singh style - is beautiful.

Last edited:
Valhalla Rising. Pretty darn good...until the end, for me. Would be a bit of a trippy gem. I guess the comparison to The New World is apt. Like I said, it's fairly trippy.

The movie had me until the end with
the hero being killed and his charge apparently being left to die. I suppose such an end to their situation was inevitable. But I didn't like it. I usually like happier endings. Perhaps if his murder wasn't so ignominious. Oh dear, give me the Hollywood ending in which somehow he and the boy triumph, I guess.

Eh, maybe the end'll grow on me. Worth seeing once though at least.

Guys can I ask a question?

I just saw Amelie (2001), and might be the best film I have ever seen yet. But I'm wondering, why is Amelie scared/shy of being in a relationship when in fact she tried it before?

Guys can I ask a question?

I just saw Amelie (2001), and might be the best film I have ever seen yet. But I'm wondering, why is Amelie scared/shy of being in a relationship when in fact she tried it before?

One of my favorite films ever! Amelie lives an internal/imaginative life. Before the events of the movie, as told in flashbacks, she was unable to really relate to people. So she had relationships, but she was never really interested in them. Through the course of the movie she learns to connect with the outside world, so a relationship would be a FAR more powerful thing than her previous ones have been. It's the difference between chatting with someone about the weather and telling someone a very personal story. I love this film; I think tonight will be a good night for a rewatch :)

Oh, and on another note:
I have only very recently determined a personal understanding of the difference between "A good film" and "A film that I enjoy."
:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Amelie is a beautiful film, one of my most favorite.
That's just her quirky personality.
She's not shy, she's an observer.
She's freely independent and has no emotional neeeeed for the company of another.
She's doing her own thing... patiently waiting until the right guy or girl comes along, if ever.

She's a dodgy sort of falling star guys like to chase but will never catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NcmcJT3Ddg

Footloose.

9/10

My wife made me watch it with her and I laughed more than she did.

Dunno why I liked it - it's over the top in a silly way but great acting overall (except the main girl had a SUPER annoying voice)

Rewatched:
The Vicious Kind - 7/10
Brokeback Mountain - 9/10
Winter's Bone - 9/10
Pitch Black - 9/10 (one of my favorite sci-fi films)

Watched for the first time:
Dead Man - 9/10
Peter and Vandy - 8/10

There have been others, but if I wouldn't rate it at least a 6/10, then I usually stop watching within the first 20 minutes...

Back