Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

IndieTalk is performing upgrades and will be back soon. Posting is disabled until further notice.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #3286
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

The OA
This show is like watching lorde dance for the first time.
It's so bizarre and awkward that it's captivating and you cant look away.

I thought for sure season 2 would go off the rails but it manages to be just weird enough without going overboard.

4/5
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 03-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #3287
pedramyz
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
The OA
This show is like watching lorde dance for the first time.
It's so bizarre and awkward that it's captivating and you cant look away.

I thought for sure season 2 would go off the rails but it manages to be just weird enough without going overboard.

4/5
That bizarre and awkward part you mentioned hooked me . Last year I wanted to give this show a shot. but having watched some of Brit Marling's movies ( "The east" especially) I got second thoughts since most of the movies she plays in are really depressing stuff. What about this show? Is it depressing?
pedramyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #3288
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedramyz View Post
That bizarre and awkward part you mentioned hooked me . Last year I wanted to give this show a shot. but having watched some of Brit Marling's movies ( "The east" especially) I got second thoughts since most of the movies she plays in are really depressing stuff. What about this show? Is it depressing?
young blind girl disappeared years ago.. but now she's back and she can see now but she wont tell anyone what happened to her. the mystery unfolds and even the title of the show "oa" is something to be revealed so any specifics might dampen your experience.

most of the episodes revolve around her time when she was missing and it's not a soft life she had, there are some sadistic parts but it's not a feel-bad show. holding on to hope is a theme
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:36 PM   #3289
pedramyz
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
young blind girl disappeared years ago.. but now she's back and she can see now but she wont tell anyone what happened to her. the mystery unfolds and even the title of the show "oa" is something to be revealed so any specifics might dampen your experience.

most of the episodes revolve around her time when she was missing and it's not a soft life she had, there are some sadistic parts but it's not a feel-bad show. holding on to hope is a theme
Sadistic I can handle . gonna start it tonight. thx.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:38 AM   #3290
BBfilms
Basic Member

await further instruction 3/10

im being nice there maybe, it was different so I give it that (I appreciate it tried something new) but really it was so all over the place, nothing is explained and your like ok what just happened... is it a metaphor for being controlled by media? is it an alien? is it a 'god'? why is it fucking with everyone?
they put in so many twists and turns that its like multiple stories sewn together randomly
BBfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #3291
pedramyz
Basic Member

OA

Since the 2 seasons are tonally different I rate them separately.

Season 1 . 7/10

The concept for the first season feels more original than the second one though the vibe is really bleak.
Spoiler: That end reveal where they find illiad and other books named after the characters was such a bummer for me, cause it reduced the story to just a mere hallucination of OA as a coping mechanism. I'd given it a higher score hadn't it been for that disappointing ending. hopefully it is all later explained in the second season and makes it alright again. It was a mixture of "Old boy" and "Lost". But some decision makings by the characters were just dumb and some of them were hard sells

Season 2 . 8/10

Though the story of the characters continue in this season,tonally it's a completely different season. Where the first season was focused on Spoiler: a single goal and explored a focused theme, the second season is all over the map, mixing parallel universes and incarnations after death (Both of said concepts are better explored in other works in my opinion, Twin peaks : the return and Bioshock: infinite the video game). But I gave this season a higher score cause it's more to my taste ( it's kind of a detective story with the promise of unraveling sick concepts) and because of two sick scenes : 1. Nina talking about that tongue dream blew me away. it was just beautiful.2. The scene in the cabin where the woman sells skins was just out of this world. Loved it!)

Overall this is a highly recommended series. everything is done beautifully. Spoiler: But one major thing that hurts this show is the lack of closure. You could blame it on the complicated nature of the concept ( Incarnations in parallel universes and all), but I personally think the creators are at fault here since we have other works (mentioned above ) that handle these concepts with a lot more skill and efficiency.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:21 AM   #3292
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

The Hole in the Ground. 8/10
Fairly decent suspense-horror.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. 8.75/10
Mostly a downer, but still really good stuff, like you'd expect.

American Circumcision. 9.85/10
An outstanding contribution.

Wormwood. 9.75/10
Errol Morris. Good. Geez.

Last edited by richy; 04-04-2019 at 05:24 AM.
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #3293
likeadogchasingcars
Basic Member

Gerry (Gus Van Sant) - 8/10

I really liked this one but it's definitely one of those films I would recommend to only watch when you're in the mood for this because it really takes its time to tell a story without much action. Loved the cinematography though!
likeadogchasingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #3294
eomer41
Basic Member

Wormwood ............................ 9.5/10

Addicting Netflix series and very very very interesting editing. They used 10 cameras for one interview.
eomer41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:51 PM   #3295
eomer41
Basic Member

Roma........................... 8/10

What I learned the most from this movie is that it really did a good job at separating the foreground and the background yet the story was connected by both.
eomer41 is offline   Reply With Quote