• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Fear of writing?

Hello indietalk,
long time without being here. As usual at the beginning of my posts, I apologize for any mistakes in English.

I started my career 11 years ago, making very simple motivational videos for a football club, for which the only audience was the players moments before entering the field. After this, I got some serious jobs and enjoyed each opportunity that appeared in my front. Today, I'm directing comercial films for a studio. We are doing nice works, like this:
http://facebook.com/FluminenseFC/videos/1084848868239507

And bringing bigger clients:
https://www.facebook.com/AOCdoBrasil/videos/1107796522626629

And way bigger...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARVhxfs0tZ0

So, at this moment I'm very happy with my work and the growing up we are living, except for one thing. I always wanted to make narrative cinema, it is my biggest professional dream since I was a kid, and although I feel prepared for it, I never did even a single short. Nothing, zero. Every time I tried to write a script, I ended up with an unfinished story. It is like I feel good about the idea of the movie, I can see that it has a strong soul, I can see important scenes, but dark thoughts start to discourage me as someone whose job was to look for weaknesses along the work, generally without a good replacement for it. The time passes and when I wake up, there is another project archived that never came to life. Nothing wrong to me being a commercial director, I'm really loving it. But without making narrative movies I feel deeply incomplete.

Well I'm trying to write again and having the same difficults, although the quality of the plot is way better than last ones, I still find myself doubting or relucting about my choices.

I appreciate any advising about this process, specially from professionals who already felt like this or has experience about this. How did you fight your insecurity?

Thank you very much!

We're not doing brain surgery - and I mean that in a nice way.
No matter how badly we screw up a screenplay, no one is going to die, or even be hurt.

It may sound silly, but I often remind myself of that when I over-think things.

What if you gather all those old ideas and look through them?
You may discover that you have solutions.
You might even end up with combining 2 ideas into something new!

3 Months ago I finally wrote a short script for a story that had been living in my head for 8 years.
In those years the plot changed a lot, the characters changed a lot, but the core of the idea remained strong.
I finally made short 'chapter notes' to get the structure straight and started writing.
During the writing new ideas popped up to complement existing ideas: it finally fell into place.

Creativity can be a strange beast: after a while your mind can secretly work out solutions you'll only discover by picking an idea up again.

Another approach is:
"If you are going through hell: keep moving."
Finish the script.
Lke Mara says: nobody will die from bad writing. Funny writing can kill, btw ;)

And when you are stuck: go for a walk, go fishing, go biking, whatever to get your mind away from the script so it gets room to breathe. And then, suddenly, the ideas will come again.

PS.

It also feels like I'm writing this to myself.
There is a script waiting for me to continue writing.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments.

If you are going through hell: keep moving.
I liked this phrase WalterB, it fits in my current journey. :D That's right, this time I will finish the job, no matter what it takes.

Creativity can be a strange beast: after a while your mind can secretly work out solutions you'll only discover by piking an idea up again.

Very true. I read my old notes and ended up with a lot of inspiration (or revelations, sounds like some ideas was on there already, you just have to play a kind of hide-and-seek).

mlesemann, I think in a certain way I don't feel that "no one is going to die, or even be hurt", because I can't get rid of the idea that a bad work closes a lot of future doors, both for the author as for the crew. Maybe I think this way because in advertising world things are like this, you can never walk a bad step, you can never screw up a film if you want to keep moving forward. But you're right, I need to relax a little.

SleepyDogFilms, what I'm writing leaves a path for continuity. I stopped thinking about that when realized it's a very complicated task. Maybe in the future, after achieve this very first mission.

Thank you very much.

Back