Is a Nomination considered an award?

It's a question that I've always had. Since nominations never go away and actors take them as seriously as the award win itself I've always wondered. Is a nomination a type of award? Like a 2nd place trophy or something? So if a film gets 5 award wins & 12 nominations does the film really have 17 Award wins? Also if it's not an actual award win then why does it matter so much? Why is it such an honor to be nominated?

But see that's just it, one of the synonyms of Accolade is award. Even in the definition of accolade it says it's an award

Every award is an accolade, not every accolade is an award. For example, rave reviews, is an accolade.

PS. Synonyms are "similar" not absolute, hence the word synonym. ;)

Every award is an accolade, not every accolade is an award. For example, rave reviews, is an accolade.

That actually makes sense. So like a badge of honor or bragging rights as opposed to a full blow on award. Like being knighted by the queen of England.

To answer your question more directly, of course being nominated is an honor. Do you see it as failure because they lost? If you were nominated for an Academy Award in Short Film, how would you feel, and would you use that for promotion even if you didn't win it all?

Ah. It's not an official award. It's simply the result of voting for the top pool of contenders by a judiciary body.

Is a nomination a type of award? Like a 2nd place trophy or something?
A 2nd place trophy is an award. The nomination isn't an award.

So if a film gets 5 award wins & 12 nominations does the film really have 17 Award wins?
I would say no. It's 5 awards and 12 nominations. One could say, "I
won a nomination.", but not "I won an award.".

Also if it's not an actual award win then why does it matter so much? Why is it such an honor to be nominated?
Let's use the Oscar as an example. More then 300 films are eligible
for that award. Only 10 get nominated. That matters because there
are so few movies honored with that nomination. But only one wins
the award.

Being nominated is to be named or recognized by the academy. If someone is nominated then it means your work is well liked.

Also, when you look at it from a judge's perspective you might as well consider it a win because judging is difficult, and past nomination they might just start flipping coins to make it easier on themselves.

Back