Mic stand / boompole recommendations?

I'm looking for a mic stand and a boompole for my shotgun mic RØDE Ntg-4.
Mostly needed for interviews, and boompole will be used for shortfilms too.

I can't seem to find proper comparisons and recommendations so thought I would ask here.

Thanks in advance. :D

If that's the case, then he should probably get a wireless lav or two. Probably his best bet for his interviews if he's carrying. The sound won't be as good as if it was boomed but it's very portable and will get him most of the way there.

One thing at a time.

It's mighty presumptuous to say someone asking about a mic stand
needs a car. Or that since he doesn't have a car he's "punking" us.
Or that someone asking about a piece of equipment is not going to
be able to take jobs. Perhaps Asker isn't even being hired for jobs
at the moment. Perhaps he's starting out and looking for advice on
building an inexpensive kit for future work. Or for projects he wants
to do.

Maybe in the future he'll be ready for wireless. Maybe in the future
he'll need a car to get to gigs. Right now, on this thread, I don't
understand why you are saying he needs a car or wireless mics. He's
asking about a mic stand.

Well he gave us limited info so I don't knock all the helpful suggestions, he knows his exact situation but we don't so he can take it or leave it as far as what we tried to help him with, or explain further.

Well he gave us limited info so I don't knock all the helpful suggestions, he knows his exact situation but we don't so he can take it or leave it as far as what we tried to help him with, or explain further.
I apologize for knocking the helpful suggestions. It just seemed to
me that accusing him of punking us because he asked about a mic
stand but doesn't have a car was not helpful.

I was wrong.

It just seemed to me that accusing him of punking us because he asked about a mic stand but doesn't have a car was not helpful.
I read his information as he has a "Movi M5" + taking tripod, camera kit etc without a vehicle. The Movi M5 isn't what I wouldn't consider it suitable for transport without a vehicle. Maybe I misunderstood or misread, who knows. It set my BS meter off, so I asked.

I took your word at face value as he wasn't punking.

Giving his transport issue, wireless may be an idea he hasn't considered. Of all the users here, you tend to put forward alternative solutions in threads. I would have expected you to appreciate the OP being given an alternative option when it appeared that neither a microphone stand or a C-stand solved his problem.

I understand transportation issues. I'm going through them at the moment. How to transport more with less. It's a nightmare for me without a truck.

Giving his transport issue, wireless may be an idea he hasn't considered. Of all the users here, you tend to put forward alternative solutions in threads. I would have expected you to appreciate the OP being given an alternative option when it appeared that neither a microphone stand or a C-stand solved his problem.

You are correct. I was wrong. I apologize.

Seems like this debate has sparkled a bit since my last visit - great read!

To elaborate on my situation: I'm scared of driving a car, hence I never got my license. But it's ok - in Denmark we have a lot of public transportation so I take bus and trains. It is quite a pain to travel a m5 and all my gear around, but with a great camera backpack, a great m5 flightcase (with wheels) and a Sachtler tripod bag I actually manage to make it doable.

I work in insurance by fulltime and make videos in the weekends by part time. I get paid to do small portraits for CEO's and other succesful people for a closed executive members club (1-1,5 minute videos with a bit of interview, b-roll etc.).

I already have that very standard Sennheiser lav mic (I think it's called ew 112-p or something), but I've always gotten bad sound from it. Low volume that I had to dublicate 3-4 times in my editing program etc. even though I bumped up the receiving volume in my external recorder to the "limit".

That's why I figured I wanted to experiment with my ntg-4 mic instead. Sounds to me like I would have to go for one of the mic stands that directorik suggested. Although on every BTS YouTube/interview setup I see the shotgun mic is located on a stand over the person's head.

Last edited:
I already have that very standard Sennheiser lav mic (I think it's called ew 112-p or something), but I've always gotten bad sound from it. Low volume that I had to dublicate 3-4 times in my editing program etc. even though I bumped up the receiving volume in my external recorder to the "limit".

I have a couple of those. They're ok. Very common for low budget kits. I've seen them easily break. Once broken, they obviously sound horrible. They're also very prone to handling noise.

As for being quiet, how are you using it? Have you altered the settings on the wireless transmitter/receiver to get it to the volume you require?

Although on every BTS YouTube/interview setup I see the shotgun mic is located on a stand over the person's head.
Yep. Get the microphone as close to the source for the best sound.

a great camera backpack, a great m5 flightcase (with wheels) and a Sachtler tripod bag I actually manage to make it doable.
I would have to go for one of the mic stands that directorik suggested.

The tripod boom stand directorik recommended is a good place to start.

You will need a collapsable mic stand with a boom, something light weight, preferably with a very wide base. It will need its own case if it will not fit into your tripod bag. You can use some velcro straps to attach it to your tripod bag.

I'm assuming that you are using the Sennheiser ew 112 G3 package. Getting wireless systems calibrated properly can sometimes be difficult. You need to get the transmitter sending you a clean, hot signal; you need to adjust the input on the receiver, then get proper output levels to your recorder; and then proper input levels on the recorder (camera or separate device). And that's after you get the lav "noiselessly" wired to the talent.

Every pro I know immediately replaces the ME-2 lav with something substantially better - CountryMan, Tram, Sanken - all out of your price range. As you are on a budget you may want to check out the lavs by Oscar Sound Tech.

http://oscarsoundtech.com

If you're using just the lav it probably needs phantom power; that's why you have such a weak signal.

Last edited:
I have a couple of those. They're ok. Very common for low budget kits. I've seen them easily break. Once broken, they obviously sound horrible. They're also very prone to handling noise.

As for being quiet, how are you using it? Have you altered the settings on the wireless transmitter/receiver to get it to the volume you require?

Yeah I tried a few different tutorials on YT, all the same results. Even got a sound guy to reset my recorder's settings and redo them all to make sure that it wasnt the recorder.

I'm assuming that you are using the Sennheiser ew 112 G3 package. Getting wireless systems calibrated properly can sometimes be difficult. You need to get the transmitter sending you a clean, hot signal; you need to adjust the input on the receiver, then get proper output levels to your recorder; and then proper input levels on the recorder (camera or separate device). And that's after you get the lav "noiselessly" wired to the talent.

Every pro I know immediately replaces the ME-2 lav with something substantially better - CountryMan, Tram, Sanken - all out of your price range. As you are on a budget you may want to check out the lavs by Oscar SOund Tech.

If you're using just the lav it probably needs phantom power; that's why you have such a weak signal.

I'm pretty sure my zoom h4n provides phantom power, and yes I have the sennheiser ew 112 g3 package. Idk if the mics you mentioned are all out of my price range, can you provide me with some links (bhphotovideo preferably)? I honestly thought the sennheiser ew 112 series was the business standard.

I'm pretty sure my zoom h4n provides phantom power,

The G3 transmitter will supply the phantom power to the lav. Perhaps you should try very fresh batteries in both the transmitter and receiver. Even marginally low batteries will significantly degrade the signal. Also, the H4 has weak preamps, which may also be contributing to the problem.

Idk if the mics you mentioned are all out of my price range,

Starting at around US$110 per lav.

can you provide me with some links (bhphotovideo preferably)?

I already did. Here it is again:

B&H does not sell OST products. There are a limited number of vendors. Professional Sound Services ( http://www.pro-sound.com/c/oscar-soundtech-lavaliers.html ) is a reputable OST vendor; I would be very leery of eBay - too many cheap clones.

I honestly thought the sennheiser ew 112 series was the business standard.

Nope, Lectrosonics is the industry standard, but WAY out of your price range, starting at around US$1,500, and topping at over US$3,000, per set. Sennheiser G3 is the "budget" standard.

Back