GoPro Cameras?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of GoPro cameras?

Reasons for the questions is I am looking into a second camera behind my Canon 60D DSLR to give me footage the DSLR cannot for more shooting flexibility.

I always shake my head when I hear people spending lots of money looking for fixes that could have been prevented if they just bought correctly the first time. Good luck in your search for your fix.

GoPro's do Wifi to your device of choice and can be somewhat monitored that way. The fact that they don't have a screen gives away their intended purpose - as a set and forget POV-style cam where you get what you get. They're not really designed as A cams (or B, or C cams for that matter).

You can get 'backpacks' for earlier GoPros which give you a monitor, but I believe comes at the cost of waterproofing... YMMV

GoPro's do Wifi to your device of choice and can be somewhat monitored that way. The fact that they don't have a screen gives away their intended purpose - as a set and forget POV-style cam where you get what you get. They're not really designed as A cams (or B, or C cams for that matter).

You can get 'backpacks' for earlier GoPros which give you a monitor, but I believe comes at the cost of waterproofing... YMMV

I am beginning to think instead of Wi-Fi, they actually mean Bluetooth. I can't get it to connect to my Wi-Fi router and the router can't find it. They give a default password to "connect it to the network." That's not how Wi-Fi devices are connected. That's Bluetooth. And, so far, it's not connecting to the Bluetooth.

This is the first digital video camera I ever bought without a built-in monitor. So, it took me by surprise. But, in life, we have to roll with the punches.

I am considering a Marshall battery powered 7" camera monitor made for HD video cameras with a HDMI input. That would make the camera useful. I still think it can be useful for cyborg robo vision POV footage. It encompasses all the suggestions of DPs and people on this boards suggestions for how robots and cyborgs see the world through their eyes.

I am beginning to think instead of Wi-Fi, they actually mean Bluetooth.

This isn't exactly tech accurate, but think of it like the Camera setting up its own network so your phone/tablet can log into the cameras wifi network. AFAIK it cannot log into your wifi network.

This isn't exactly tech accurate, but think of it like the Camera setting up its own network so your phone/tablet can log into the cameras wifi network. AFAIK it cannot log into your wifi network.

This.
Accurate enough :P
It's not a device that communicates with a network. However, it can communicate with your smartphone.
It does a lag and the signal can break up easily.

Check the Manual (of all your devices).
In this thread you tried to get a signal into a device through the HDMI out and you just tried to let your router talk to a GoPro that doesn't really speak 'router'.

Back