Storyboarding

Hi

Bit of newbie to directing but I've got a script and starting to conisder storyboard shots. I was wondering do you guys use storyboarding software for planning shots or do you have the shots in your head?

Oh it's live action not animation.

Any recommendations for software, free if possible!?

Cheers
James

There's plenty of storyboard templates online for you to print out and draw your boards if you so desire. Google Sketchup can work too. Personally, I'll board sequences that are vfx heavy, but otherwise just work from my head and improvise on set.

Storyboarding Old Way

This might look way too unmodern but it does work, and it does work well: a few packs of blank cards size of standard name/business cards. They can be put in any order and alternative versions of the scenes can be drawn on the reverse side. Not as fancy as a computer program but it does the job when you need it urgently.

I do the same thing, or even use rectangular uPost-it pads. This allows nothing to be written in stone and permits addition, subtractions and re-edits before committing to a fixed template page.

- Wolf

Thanks ZMY. Also rabbimaster, unless it's a complicated visual effects shot, you may find a better way to compose & block it once you work with the actors on the location, so use the boards as a guide, not as something you have to rigidly follow. If inspiration hits you on location, you can shoot alternate takes which are different from your board but may like better once you start editing. So cover yourself but be open to happy accidents & have fun!

FrameForge

I may be the odd-man-out here but I like to use FrameForge Storyboard Studio to storyboard, especially when I have specific limitations on the set or location. Sadly, it is far from free but you may be able to find someone who uses it to work with you on your next project. There is a demo version available I believe which has limitations on the number of objects and scenes you can create but which may convince you of its value (or otherwise). Even if I don't print and share the full reports available it still helps me think through a lot of options and eliminate much potential time-wasting in production. You need to be careful not to spend too much time on it though as it can become quite seductive as you can even go as far as animating a scene. It is also a very useful for producing fund-raising resources.

I also use Hollywood Camera Works' Shot Designer which is really cheap and works well on set for last minute changes to blocking, so long as you have some way to show it to your cast and crew.

Last edited:
if your doing resource film making I do the cheat way where I just take a photo of the location or objects etc... (you can use objects as stand ins for actors if needed) and you can also test angles and lighting and so on that way

might not work if your hiring somewhere on limited time though

I'm not really one to use any particular software, I think I work better if I actually just put pen to paper. you can find some really good templates to print off or you can just make your own and go from there :)

I use my iPad Pro and a program called Sketch Book Pro and do everything by hand.

After I'm don, I export the files out as JPEG to send to my crew.

It has layers so stack scene as well as erase at anytime.

Super easy to use.

Back