Question about listening to audio recording live

I've wanted to upgrade my audio setup for a while to a boom mic and xlr recorder. My question to you filmmakers is if you use headphones to listen to the audio you're recording live or if you just review it later. I've noticed most XLR audio recorders have a headphone-out jack and I see most boom operators wearing a pair of studio headphones while recording. Thanks guys!

You always want to monitor what you're recording through headphones. You can hear if there's any problems and how the mic is sounding in whatever position you have it in. You especially want to monitor if you're gonna be booming.

If you are not monitoring the audio with headphones you probably have all the mental agility of a small soap dish. Do you shoot visuals without looking into the viewfinder or a video monitor? Of course not!

How would you know if there are any audio problems? What kind of problems? A broken cable, bad level settings, ambient noise issues, low batteries and a host of other potential audio disasters.

Back