• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

New Training Course for Node Based VFX (Using Free Software)

Hey everyone! I've spent the last few months putting together a training course for aspiring and independent filmmakers that teaches you how to do visual effects using free, node based software. For those that don't know, Natron is essentially a clone of Nuke, the industry standard vfx compositing application used on almost every movie that you see. And it happens to be free and open source which means that anyone can now do vfx while learning to composite just like the pros!

The course starts with setting up the software and learning the basics of node based compositing, then we go into some basic vfx, both visible and invisible, that are common with indie filmmakers today. 15 courses, six and a half hours of training, plus demo footage so you can follow along at home.

From now until New Year's Eve, you can get Indie Rebel: VFX for just $29.99, saving $20 off the standard $50, just use HOLIDAY2016 at checkout Check it out at http://indierebel.co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP8U8dxynSQ

I added a syllabus to the product page so you can see exactly what's covered. All using free software :D

Course Intro
Software Setup
Intro To Nodes
Dealing with Log Footage
Background Birds
Sky Replacement
Gun Shots
Matte Painting
Driving with Greenscreen
Screen Replacement
Rig Removal
Digitally Enhanced Stunts
Explosion
Basic Workflow
Color Grading Tips
MoGraph Titles
Poster Design (Bonus Course)

You should tell people that the training is based on Fusion and Resolve, which are the free software you're talking about. I think that would pique their interests.

Good luck! :)

It's actually based on Natron. I can't stand Fusion. Good idea though, thanks!

Interesting. I just downloaded fusion and am thinking of giving it a go, since there's lots of tutorials on it. I've never heard of Natron.

Is there a reason you prefer Natron to Fusion. I don't mean to put you on the spot, just wondering if you would spare a couple of the main reasons why You like Natron over Fusion.
thx

I tried Fusion when I initially switched from AE to nodes, even used it for a short film as my only compositor. At my work, we started using Nuke and I preferred it's node graph layout and UI over Fusion. I find it easier to read and stay organized. Natron is essentially an open source clone of Nuke. It's really just missing 3D and particles, but both of those are coming in future updates. Given that Nuke is used more than Fusion on big budget films, and seeing that I prefer the way it's nodes work, it made more sense for me to teach Natron rather than Fusion.

Back