• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Spec Scripts

Does anyone know any web page where we can find spec screenplays only?
Most web pages have specs and shooting scripts mixed!

When it gets to shooting script stage it doesn't become a NEW script. It's still the same old spec script, just the latest draft of it... and they add scene numbers if they're not already on there.

The opposite of a spec script is not a shooting script. The opposite of a spec script would be a script that is commissioned. When a studio comes to you with an idea and says "please turn this into a screenplay, here's some money" THAT'S when you're not writing a spec script.

I'm sorry to hear that. I was enjoying our little debate.

I apologize for questioning you. In general I'm a curious person interested in other
peoples opinion. I won't do it again.

You weren't questioning though... You asked how I defined Spec Script and then you told me I'm wrong.

It's like someone puts a gun to your head and asks if you want to live. No matter your answer, you die.

I gave you my opinion and then you tried to change it.

No matter the advise given here, features scripts have two formats. One which is without production notes and the other with. If you want to call it Potato and Tomato formats, good on you. If I want to call it Spec and Shooting (as taught to me by my mentors) then I will.

It's like arguing with someone that it's just a clothes pins when it's called a C47. Names depend on where you are.

Seems you can hear about how to format a sitcom format into a spec script format in this class. Hard to believe. Should call them "early drafts" like others do.

You weren't questioning though... You asked how I defined Spec Script and then you told me I'm wrong.

It's like someone puts a gun to your head and asks if you want to live. No matter your answer, you die.

I gave you my opinion and then you tried to change it.
It was not my intent to put a gun to your head. My intent was to understand
your definition. I never said you were wrong, I believed you were misinformed.
You defended your definition so I asked a few questions so I could better
understand. To me that is a respectful discussion. I sorry that to you it is like a
death threat. I apologize. I won't do it again.

Last edited:
No matter the advise given here, features scripts have two formats.

Yes, there are two "formats" but the screenwriter only creates scripts in one format, whether they are spec scripts or commissioned! Production or shooting scripts are not created by the screenwriter, they are effectively the screenwriter's script with notes added by members of the production team (hence "production script"), most commonly the director and DOP. These are notes created according to how the director/others want to tell the story, their interpretation, which detail items such as camera angles, etc., and as these notes are specific to the director's interpretation they cannot therefore be written by the screenwriter.

G

Originally posted by AudioPostExpert
Yes, there are two "formats" but the screenwriter only creates scripts in one format, whether they are spec scripts or commissioned! Production or shooting scripts are not created by the screenwriter, they are effectively the screenwriter's script with notes added by members of the production team (hence "production script"), most commonly the director and DOP.

This! Thanks APE - I started to write an explanation a few times but didn't get it quite right, so I decided to leave it to someone else. :)

Yes, there are two "formats" but the screenwriter only creates scripts in one format, whether they are spec scripts or commissioned!
When Sky called Panos "lazy" and posted the screenplay.com link it sparked
my natural curiosity. When he said that "spec script" is a format I understood
why he called Panos "lazy". Since he believes every script is a "spec script"
until it is a "production scripts" I asked for a follow up. I agree with you APE
that writers create scripts in one format; a script written on speculation is in
the same format as one written on commission. No where can I find "spec script"
defined as a format - even in the filmschoolonline link Sky provided.

"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress." -Joseph Joubert

Last edited:
Back