"Dropped Frames Were Detected During Last Capture Attempt"

This is what Final Cut Pro is now saying about EVERY CLIP I try to capture. I'm about to go nuts! I switched from a tape deck to a camera and am now using a tape that worked before on the same system. Some setting must have changed when I restarted the program. FCP is not letting me capture anything (it aborts any clip longer than a few seconds long and says the title quote). If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please help! Thanks!

-Logan

Thats not the problem. I have tried many scenarios (using a camera, tapes I know are good, etc.) Even if I record a broadcast where there is no tape involved it still drops frames. Its almost like the computer gets out of sync and then catches back up again. even if the media is paused... I've concluded that some FCP setting somewhere is off...but I've checked all of the settings I know about...I'm stumped! I've been using the log and capture feature and it is just dropping frames every five seconds or so. It does it with tapes recorded at 24p, 29.97 fps, and whatever else I try to capture with, It seems like the computer gets stuck or frozen and then catches back up....but this computer is a powerhouse.

Do you use your system disk for capture? if so when was the last time you did a back up and reinstall from scratch? If not, when was the lasst time you emptied your capture drive and formatted it?

defrag would probably work as well. I just like to be thorough.

Also be sure to turn off any virus scanners or other background tasks that could grab use of the hard drive and interrupt the capture process. I was having problems with Premiere crashing and ran a selective startup using "msconfig" to isolate the offender, and it turned out to be the Creative Labs resident utilities. You could always monitor the CPU utilization of various processes in the Task Manager to see who's doing what and when. I always capture to a drive that does not contain the operating system or the swap file to make sure the capture stream has dedicated use of the drive.

Talked her through formatting the external yesterday. It shipped out of the box with a PC compatible (probably fat32 or ntfs) format. Reformatted to HFS+ Extended/Journalled. Google searches turned this up as the cure for the allocating disk space error.

Haven't heard whether or not it worked yet though.

Yes! it DID work!

Logan, go to the thread called: FCP, dropped frames and timecode errors.

This is where LOC, VT, Spatula and the great and powerful knightly helped me through my problems. Go to the last few pages, I tell what I was instructed to do.

...and I have one more "how-to" to put in the tread and I'm heading over there right now!

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
Back