not sure if film making is for me

hi guys, I'm Zac. this is my first post, and its a question. I am 15 years old and i am very guilty of thinking things are cool and spending money on them, only to forget about them after a few months. I got a pretty cheap camera last year, and i stopped using it after a few months. i think this is because i didnt know what to do with it. anyway, recently I've become interested in flims and film making again, but i dont want to rush into it and find out its not for me. so my question to you is, what can i do to have a go at film making without spending a great deal, and also didall of you love film making before you tried it or did you fall in love with it after you tried it? thanks

so my question to you is, what can i do to have a go at film making without spending a great deal, and also didall of you love film making before you tried it or did you fall in love with it after you tried it? thanks
Start by picking up that cheap camera again.

Write or find a script you feel you can make.
Convince a few friends to work as crew.
Talk to some student actors and convince them into being in it.
Set a shooting date.
Make a movie.

If you don't like that process (and I know all that sucks) then it's
not for you.
If you do - make another one. After you have have made three or
four with your cheap camera you can think about getting a better
one and a good microphone or you might find someone who already
owns a better camera who wants to make movies with you. Many
things can happen in the next six months if you are making movies
all the time.

For me is wasn't so much about "love" as it was about doing something
I thought might be fun. I guess you can say I fell in love with it after I
started. But to be honest I wouldn't say I "love" filmmaking.

I followed the advice I'm giving you here. I was 14 when I started. By
16 people in my area saw me as a "serious" filmmaker and I got a lot
of help on my first "serious" film - including an audio guy with his own
equipment and DP from the local college.

Hi, Zac.

I don't think you can fall in love with filmmaking until you actually do it. You can love the idea of it, sure, but you can't really know it anymore than you can love eating cheese until you have. You said you don't want to rush in to it, but what've you got to lose? I can look back at a lot of my earlier efforts now and laugh at how bad I was, but I may well be doing the same in a few years time and what I'm doing today - but that's not to say I haven't enjoyed myself along the way. You may find you love making films and that you're a cinematic genius… or you may not - but you'll never find out if you don't give it a go. Just remember that we've all started from the same position, and you can only get better.

If you are attracted to the glamour of filmmaking, forget about it; making films is a lot of very hard work. All of the individual craft disciplines require lots of knowledge and, well, discipline. Directing requires even more.

To expand on the chilipie metaphor... There an awful lot of cheeses, and you may like some and not others. Not everyone wants to be a director. Some of us, like myself, are very happy - and make very important contributions - in a support role.

If you really want to explore your interest in filmmaking get out there and shoot with your "crappy" camera; push things to the limits until the camera and Home Depot lighting no longer do what you want them to do. The same applies to editing, iMovie or MovieMaker are just fine for starters. And there are dozens of freewares and sharewares that will allow you to do some amazing things for almost no money. Once you've exhausted all of those possibilities then you can think about getting some "pro" gear and software.

But you should also work on other filmmakers projects. Be a PA, gofer, whatever you can get. Watch other filmmakers at work.

What other things are you passionate about? Maybe you can do that aspect of filmmaking. There are dozens of crafts involved in "serious" filmmaking - carpentry, interior design, electric, hair/make-up/wardrobe, greenskeeping, accounting, stunts, legal, sound (both production and post), food service/catering, driving, flying, management and many different aspects of computer work - everything from video and audio editing to CGI, animation, database management, software design, systems integration/maintenance... And this just scratches the surface; read the credits of a well budgeted film, you'll see the dozens of crafts and hundreds of people needed to make a film.

Personally I sort of sidled into film. I started of as a touring/studio musician and went into music recording/engineering after arthritis curtailed my performing career. Being a music engineer wasn't as rewarding personally and creatively a I had hoped it would be - I was mostly a glorified button pusher/mouse clicker - and migrated to audio post on the recommendation of someone I respected. It's been nine years now and it's creatively fulfilling, although I dislike the business of running a business.

I don't wanna be the one to burst your bubble, but I should alert you that, if you're not sure filmmaking is for you, then it probably isn't.

I think most of us in the industry knew/know for sure that filmmaking is for us. Most of us cannot imagine ourselves doing anything outside the film industry. I know I can't. Maybe I won't be a director, but I can be a screenwriter, or an editor, or a gaffer, or a film critic, or a film historian... I say this because filmmaking is a full-time commitment. In certain occasions, you work on it every day of the week and twice on Sunday. You don't have to love it, but you might have to marry it.

Having said that, you're still young, so you have time to figure out what you want to do for a living. Who knows. You might soon realize filmmaking is for you. Do you like films? That's your major clue. I skimmed over some of the posts above, and I saw some darn good advice. You gotta love this forum.

Best,
Gabriel

GabrielM, with all due respect, I feel the need to offer the counter-point to your advice.

pebblesdundee, you've got a lot of life ahead of you. It is perfectly normal to move from one interest to another. In fact, I'd say it's healthy. I think this is a sign of having passion for DOING THINGS. Okay, so you don't know yet what you want to do. Join the club. TONS of young Americans take time to explore different interests before settling on what it is that they love. That's fine.

Make a short movie. Research the process. Put a lot of effort into it, and really make the best product you can produce. If you have fun, and enjoy the process, BOOM!

And then try something else. There's no expiration-date on your camera. You can always come back to it.

Zac,

Filmmaking is a lifelong project and pursuit. I didn't get a feature in the can until I hit 30. For some it comes earlier in life (especially nowadays with digital cameras!) and others may not get the bug until they're 50. There are no rules about the process and when you jump into it.

If you're wired for creativity, that will manifest itself in some form along your life's path. Maybe it's film? Maybe art? Music? Writing? Acting? Special FX? Design? Who knows? You're 15! That's awesome!

Don't despair. Take some of the encouraging advice from the folks above. There are many kernels of wisdom to be found on IndieTalk. Hell, I'm nearly 40 and I *still* don't know what the heck I'm doing some days. (most days!)

You'll figure it out. Make a plan for yourself and try to stick with it. Get a list of ideas going and maybe you can cross some of them off.

Good luck!

Cracker Funk, I appreciate your counter-point.

In fact, I too move from one interest to another constantly (although I never stray away too far from the filmmaking circle). Experimenting and tasting different things is indeed healthy and enlightening.

With so many members playing "good cop," I took the liberty to play "bad cop," and remind aggressively how aggressive life can be. My intention was not to alienate pebblesdundee.

And I said "I think" because I wasn't certain... Perhaps I was wrong... Perhaps I'm part of the minority who cannot live without filmmaking. If I was wrong, allow me to publicly apologize. I was arrogant to think everyone else was like me. Sorry everyone.

Quoting Voltaire: "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." That is what forums are all about. And for the record, I do agree with what you said.

Best,
Gabriel

Last edited:
I would say it's fine to not know what you want to do, however old you are. Some people are certain that they are something and are great at it. Some people are certain that they are something but suck at it.

On the other hand some people are never sure that they are something and are great at it whilst others are insecure and rightly so.

Just because you don't yet know that you want to be a filmmaker doesn't mean that filmmaking isn't right for you. If that were the case then it would be a foregone conclusion that you won't be ANYTHING, just because you're in high school and don't know of anything that's right for you.

The only thing you can do is work by trial and error. Filmmaking is one of those frustrating vocations (like acting, medicine, architecture...etc.) were it takes quite a chunk of luck and hard work before you can get a look at professional standard work and see if that's for you. The best thing to do in the meantime is toy around with what you've got. To be honest if you don't enjoy making films on a Flip handycam, chances are you won't enjoy working with the immensely more challenging hardware. So, like with all things, start small and build up.

I'm in a similar boat. I know that I love filmmaking and films, but I'm committed to completing my university education for something quite different. Should I pull out? Should I make films full time? Should I get my degree and use it as a springboard into the industry? These are all horrible questions to face when you're young (as we both are) and there's no fool proof answer. That's why I tend to err on the side of caution.

I think you should give it a go. With me, i feel that being able to create something that can cause emotion in another human being is an amazing thing, whether it be fear, happiness or sadness. The power of film is undeniable. The power to create film is unbelievable.

Hope it helps.

Live life with no regrets. Spend all your money and give it a go. Might not be the smartest thing but atleast you won't look back when your 50 and think what if..... I'm sorta in the same boat as you at the moment. Ive being filming on and off for years now, one day obsessed with it and over it the next. I'm about to spend my life savings on equipment for my next film. I have people in my ear everyday " buy a house" " don't waste your money" "blah blah blah" but like I said "live life with no regrets.

Back