• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

audio synch Premiere Pro CS 6

Hey there!

I need some help here please. Throughout my research on the best way to synch the audio from my zoom field recorder with my video footage in Adobe Premiere Pro CS 6, I come across this nice feature to merge clips by means of their audio wave forms. (if you record audio on dslr as well)

But this function is simply missing in my Premiere! it's driving me crazy, I have to do it all manually when really this function should be there...

Does anyone face similar difficulties?

thank you guys!

Merging clips by audio is in fact not available in Premiere Pro CS6. That feature is only available in Premiere Pro CC. To make it easier to sync audio manually, make sure you have some sort of beep, or clap, or some sort of loud, distinguishable noise while you are recording the audio and video. Then when you bring in your audio and video, click on the video file and switch to the waveform view in the source monitor, find that sound (which should be easy to find), press I to set an in point, switch to the audio, find that sound again. Set another in point. Then all you have to do is select those two files and click merge by in points. That's how I used to do it before I started using CC. This is what slates were once used for primarily, but now everything syncs on time-code but that's besides the point. Good luck.

When using real film you still need to manually sync, even after it's all transferred to a digital format.

If you have reference audio (from a camcorder, DSLR, etc.) a software like PluralEyes can do a passable job syncing most of it up.

Back