Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Screenwriting

Old 05-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #16
UneducatedFan
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcove Audio View Post
And don't forget about "The Shawshank Redemption."

Voiceovers are "bad" when they are used to cover plot holes, etc. in an attempt to rescue a film.
One of my favorite films so "Hell Yes V.O.s can and should be used WHEN used effectively and correctly".
UneducatedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 05-15-2018, 06:00 AM   #17
Panos
Basic Member

Voice over is great when it is used at the right time. One of my favourites is at the end of braveheart
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
UneducatedFan
Basic Member

As an example that may be a poor use or where it was used as a "crutch", see "Bladerunner".

From what I understand, the voice over was a mandate from the studio/prodco that was added in post production and wasn't intended by the screenwriters or director.

That's why in the Director's Cut there's no Voice Over but in the Theatrical version, there's a Deckard V.O. narration.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #19
shortboy
Basic Member

It was already mentioned but "Arrested Development" had hilarious use of VO. It ended up being its own character to an extent. And their recut of their 4th season ended up adding dialogue to poke fun of the original cut.

Obviously that's what you're not going for but it works if you're going for internal dialogue or to set up a certain scene in little time.
shortboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #20
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

V.O. is a tool. I think it's narrow minded (no offense) to ask if it's bad to use. It's akin to asking if zooms, or closeups, or SFX are bad... it has to be used wisely is all.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #21
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
V.O. is a tool. I think it's narrow minded (no offense) to ask if it's bad to use. It's akin to asking if zooms, or closeups, or SFX are bad... it has to be used wisely is all.
+1
In short, as with many tools and styles: it depends.
WalterB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #22
Script-ore
Basic Member

As WalterB said, Voice Over works when it works.

Have you watched Adaptation by Spike Jonze and written by Charlie Kaufman? Voice over is a key feature of that film, and it is beautifully written.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268126/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Script-ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:33 AM   #23
UneducatedFan
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Script-ore View Post
As WalterB said, Voice Over works when it works.

Have you watched Adaptation by Spike Jonze and written by Charlie Kaufman? Voice over is a key feature of that film, and it is beautifully written.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268126/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Agree. Good example.

I think where V.O. get a long and bad rap goes back to the old Bogey Film Noir films of the 40's.

Those films were trying to put the audience INSIDE the head and thoughts of the P.I. as they sought to find out "whodunnit" and film has evolved since then. Back then the V.O. told the story and the visuals just served the purpose of action and confrontation.

That mentality was behind the decision to V.O. Blade Runner but by that time, film and audiences had evolved to where we didn't need to be told the story but could be shown and audiences were smart enough to see and digest that the next step in plot led to the next scene instead of having a V.O. say something like,

"Now with that information in hand, it was time to go back and visit Ms. Devaux. I had a few questions for her. Why did she lie to me previously about knowing Mr. Deadman? Where was she really on the night of the murder and why are you reading this in Humphrey Bogart's voice?"