Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Cinematography/Lighting

Old 12-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #16
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6L View Post
I'm probably very biased, but I feel like it's easier to screw up camera positioning than it is to screw up during editing.
I actually think the background of an experienced editor would be less likely to ‘screw up’ camera positioning as they know in their head what works in the edit.

I’d suggest a Director who knows what kind of shots will go together well (in collaboration with a good DoP of course) should (in theory) get more cohesive shots than, say, a first time Director who insists we cross the line because they’re set on one particular shot...

If you’ve got a vision of how the scene might cut in your head, it becomes a lot easier - and you’ll see straight away when a shot isn’t working.
jax_rox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 12-31-2017, 12:35 AM   #17
buscando
Basic Member

Lots of good answers from people here.
M6L, you can get a basic idea of why certain angles are used if you study good films, read books, watch tutorials, special features, etc. You can start to have ideas of what might be good for your story.

When you rehearse with actors, you keep in mind the story you're trying to tell, & the mood that best enhances it. When you're all at the location, camera positioning depends a lot on what the actors are going to do & how they move in the environment, so you allow for that in rehearsal.

Your actors, DP, & sound crew should all be on the same page as to how you think the story can best be told, & you'll work with them on how to achieve that. You have to take all their input & try to make it work together with what you have in mind, & make adjustments & compromises if needed.

Start small & simple. Find a story you like. Try to think of angles to tell the story. Later, work with actors. The more you do it, the better you'll get.
buscando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #18
FreddyLongSongs
Basic Member

On my first short, I paid for a DP.

I did it all wrong. I wasn't assertive enough and did not know what I was really do. He shot it at 30 fps and I deferred too much of the vision to him. I was more of a producer because I was conscience of time since I was paying hourly. $75/hour!!! So, I relied on him. However, for my next and last short, I will DP it (haha :/) because I've been studying how to bring my vision to life and convey what I want to a cinematographer.

So, finally, the answer... it's circumstantial. Plus, a vision go as far as the budget.
FreddyLongSongs is offline   Reply With Quote