Regular or Standard 8

hi, does anyone know anything about the above 8mm format, and what were / are the best cameras made for Standard 8, please?

thanks

Ric

Regular 8 and standard 8 are the same thing.

The best cameras are Bolex. They made some amazing 8mm cameras.

thanks Directorik - i also notice that some of the subsequent 8mm Bolex, 1960's models, included a 'windback' feature, for lap dissolves?

does anything prevent a filmmaker shooting Standard 8, then rewinding and reloading, for multiple exposure?

amazing that Super 8 film is still available - incredible that Standard 8 is!

thanks

R

Since standard 8 isn't loaded into cartridges like super 8 (it's actually 16mm
film that is run through the camera twice) you can backwind for dissolves
and run it through the camera as many times as you want.

Since standard 8 isn't loaded into cartridges like super 8 (it's actually 16mm
film that is run through the camera twice) you can backwind for dissolves
and run it through the camera as many times as you want.

cool B-)

one of the major drawbacks with Super 8, for me, is film you can't get at: largely mitigated by the brilliant lap dissolve buttons on my Nizo S 800 / 801, but the mechanism now jams midway through, on both cams; manual dissolves on my much more basic Fuji Z2 are a doddle - in comparison - and actually more fun, since you 'make' the dissolve yourself; itching to try out Standard 8 :)

thanks

Ric

Regular 8

Regular 8 and standard 8 are the same thing.

The best cameras are Bolex. They made some amazing 8mm cameras.

now have 2x Regular 8 cameras, a superb Bolex-Paillard P3 which doesn't work [grr] and a Bell & Howell 624 'Sundial' which does :)

hope to put the B&H through some hoops next week - picked up one with all the original lenses

would love to use the Bolex but the mechanism is shot and would cost more than i paid for it to get it fixed - and i don't fancy a d-i-y on it, too many tiny springs and screws to leap out all over the place :-o

never mind - looking forward to using the 624

thanks

Ric

Regular 8

now have a Bolex-Paillard P1 which works although it finely scours the emulsion, no idea why, i religiously clean and lube the film pressure plate, etc

http://www.bolexcollector.com/cameras/p1.html

But i don't mind too much cos it gives the film that 'authentic' look which so many dv softwares struggle to simulate ;) it's just a shame i can't control it. am also finding Regular 8mm projection is a challenge because all of my projectors are dual gauge but seem set up perfectly for Super 8 not Regular 8 (film path). Logically i suppose the thing to do is get a dedicated Regular 8 projector, but these are going to be well old by now, seriously vintage stock! :-o

here's something i shot with the Bolex P1 at 16fps. Be warned though, i random-toned this print with chemicals so it looks even more lively than the straight print would have done, plus it got slightly fogged when i switched the film over in a car boot on a very sunny day last August ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy7zgXFMoFw

Last edited:
Back