Help me design an audio kit 6k budget

Good day all. As the title says, I really need help in figuring out what to get. Be mindful, this kit needs to be somewhat expandable for the future, as I am trying to establish a rental/production company in my home....the Bahamas. I have budgeted about 6k starting out.......concerns I have:

1. Is 6k enough??
2. I am planning on using a blackmagic ursa 4k cinema camera (mostly independent films and music videos)
no dslrs
3. I will be starting with a boom/shotgun and two wireless lavs........any recommendations for this.

Why are you buying instead of hiring a professional PSM? Or at least renting? Are you going to be running it or handing it off to someone else?

Quality gear does not guarantee quality sound. Great sound is also very much about knowledge, skills and technique. All that great gear will do you no good in the hands of whichever PA isn't busy the day of your shoot.

Anyway, to answer your question:

Mics

Rode NTG-3 shotgun - $700

Audio-Technica AT4053b Hypercardioid - $600

Rycote Windshield w/Dead Cat - $600

Boom-pole - $400 to $800

Recorders (Pick one)

Tascam DR-701D 6-Track w/SMPTE - $600

Zoom F8 8-Track - $1,000

Tascam DR-680MKII 8-Track - $600

Mixers (Pick one)

PSC DV PROMIX - $350

Sound Devices MixPre-D - $950

Case for Mixer & Recorder

Approx. $350 to $650

Cables

Approx. $300

Wireless

Sennheiser G3 - $1,150 - (x 2) $2,300

Lavs

CountryMan B3 - $180 - (x 2) - $360

CountryMan B6 - $350 - (x 2) - $700

Sanken COS-11D - $475 - (x 2) - $950

Tram TR50 - $250 - (x 2) - $500

Headphones

Sony MDR 7506 - $100 - (x 2) - $200

You'll also need a bunch of other accessories - batteries and/or battery packs, cases to carry/protect everything, etc.

I haven't added it all up, but somewhere between $6k and $8k.

If you want REALLY, REALLY solid advice about production sound go to:

http://jwsoundgroup.net

a forum for production sound professionals.

But read this first:

xctmpo0HBQc.jpeg

Why are you buying instead of hiring a professional PSM? Or at least renting? Are you going to be running it or handing it off to someone else?

Quality gear does not guarantee quality sound. Great sound is also very much about knowledge, skills and technique. All that great gear will do you no good in the hands of whichever PA isn't busy the day of your shoot.

Anyway, to answer your question:

Mics

Rode NTG-3 shotgun - $700

Audio-Technica AT4053b Hypercardioid - $600

Rycote Windshield w/Dead Cat - $600

Boom-pole - $400 to $800

Recorders (Pick one)

Tascam DR-701D 6-Track w/SMPTE - $600

Zoom F8 8-Track - $1,000

Tascam DR-680MKII 8-Track - $600

Mixers (Pick one)

PSC DV PROMIX - $350

Sound Devices MixPre-D - $950

Case for Mixer & Recorder

Approx. $350 to $650

Cables

Approx. $300

Wireless

Sennheiser G3 - $1,150 - (x 2) $2,300

Lavs

CountryMan B3 - $180 - (x 2) - $360

CountryMan B6 - $350 - (x 2) - $700

Sanken COS-11D - $475 - (x 2) - $950

Tram TR50 - $250 - (x 2) - $500

Headphones

Sony MDR 7506 - $100 - (x 2) - $200

You'll also need a bunch of other accessories - batteries and/or battery packs, cases to carry/protect everything, etc.

I haven't added it all up, but somewhere between $6k and $8k.

If you want REALLY, REALLY solid advice about production sound go to:

http://jwsoundgroup.net

a forum for production sound professionals.

But read this first:

xctmpo0HBQc.jpeg

Well for right now renting is not going to be my preferred. Down here we have a knowledgeable people on location sound but either equipment is lacking or they are really not doing much to warrant a rent.......yes I know quality equipment is no good if no one is there to use it properly, but no one is born knowing how to conjure up professional sound. So training someone or learning as we go is actually a good thing to me. To have to keep flying someone in to do work when I can help someone else learn is a beautiful thing to me and is much more beneficial in the long run.

I live in the Bahamas, I want my country to have some good filmmakers with good equipment to help with their visions. That is my goal and my sacrifice.

BUT thank you for the responses. And I shall check out the book you recommended

Back