Free domain movies

Hi

I've heard that old movies like "Reefer madness" and "Night of the living dead" are on free domain and therefore can be used without permission.

Do you know if that's true and if that applies to being used outside US ? (Like in Portugal for example)

I'm trying to make a scene where the characters are watching a movie but i don't want to use anything that's copyrighted.

The term - at least here in the U.S. - is "Public Domain." This means that the copyright has lapsed and it is available for anyone to use.

You may want to check out the Prelinger Archives; LOTS of Public Domain material to be found there. A project that I worked on a while ago used Prlinger clips to create a mock Discovery/History Channel type of show for their characters to watch.

Yup, Archive.org hosts copies of the Prelinger Archives, as well as a tonne of other public domain material. If it's not in the Prelinger section, you'll need to double-check the status (it should be listed on the details page for the film in question)

If you've made a film of your own earlier, you can always use that - assuming there's no distributor in the way, who might share control of the rights. Ditto for filmmaker friends you know, locally or from the 'net. That can often be more interesting, than a NOTLD clip... again. :)

Back