• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Gaffer and D.P--- basic questions

The following questions will all be for small/micro budget productions. Short films and really small budget indie features.

1- Who designs/implements the lighting. I.E. who says what type of light goes where?

2. Do these two people usually work in tandem? If I find a D.P. whose work I like, am I likely to also have found a gaffer by extension? If not, is it difficult to reconcile the two?

2-A. If one were to search for a Gaffer, would the focus of the real be on the lighting solely?

3. Is lightning something most D.P's are conversant in?

4. Why is "gaffer" not more of a recognizable term? I would say few people outside of the film/tv--production/review/critic arena even know the term gaffer... Yet D. P. or cinematographer is well known.

5. If I see a film that is "lit" a certain way, is it the most often the work of the gaffer?

Thanks

Last edited:
i can answer your questions from a gaffers perspective

1. the cinematographer usually sets the style of lighting, the gaffer recommends fixtures to
achieve this and rigs the them to meet the cinematographers requirements
i have been on sets where the DP has told me to light it and given no instructions and sets
where i have been micromanaged.

2. i work with about ten DP's and when they get booked they immediately have the producers book
me (if they can afford it). i also get booked by producers directly without having met the DP.

2a. when you are searching for a gaffer i would get recommendations from DP'S and filmmakers
you need someone who is professional and has the gear to cover the shoot.
i have been asked for a show reel needless to say i laughed and said yeah right...
IMDB is a good place to start.

3. not always

4. because the independent order of gaffers likes to keep a low profile.....no really the
public dont care they just want to be told a story.

5. see answer 1

cheers

Back