• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

guerrilla style film, help!

I want to shoot a guerrilla style short horror film in the local corn maze, just in time for halloween! I can't decide if I want to make something resembling "found footage" or something that has an actual narrative to it. Either way, the film would be less than 3 minutes because of the tight deadline (planning to release on halloween). Regardless of whether this concept has been done before, I'd like to try it on my own, if not for other people's entertainment then for my own learning and experience.

You guys should give me some loglines for a direction the film could go in. My only request is that the concepts you post aren't long-winded epic tales, just short, sweet, and a self-contained plot (e.g. teenagers want to get away from murderer in order to not die).

Happy Halloween!

so a friend and I were brainstorming over some scotch last night (classy, right?) and came up with an idea for a "found footage" style thing: in the early evening while it's still pretty bright outside, a group of teenagers sneak into the back of a closed corn maze, saying things like "why would you have a corn maze if you're going to close it on Halloween?" (implying something is wrong with the maze on Halloween). As it gets darker, group members start to go missing, screams are heard in the distance, and ultimately all of the teenagers die at the hands of a each other. i guess the reason being that they get possessed by the maze and turn on each other?

Five friends struggle to find their way out of an enigmatic corn maze that seems bent on keeping them trapped and may want to kill them.

Thinking à la The Cube, or The Goblet of Fire.

Maybe they all find a circle stamped out which is some sort of an occult ceremonial place. Maybe a psycho killer or killers or satanists/pagans start chasing them. Or maybe their parents, friends and family are actually behind it, à la Jug Face or the short story, The Lottery, or the film, The Wicker Man; they are human sacrifices to ensure a good harvest this or next year.

Or maybe the villains are aliens; the inescapable corn maze is a trap for human specimens.

I don't care if it's found footage or conventional. Just please avoid shaky cam. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
How about a scarecrow or some other "familiar" farm or Halloween item takes then out?

scarecrow_23.jpg

Claud_the_Jack_o___lantern_by_Sodano.jpg

Or maybe it's better not to see the whatever-it-is at all......

do you have a suggestion otherwise?

Try something fresh? Obviously you're into horror. Write down your story idea and then think to yourself, "Is this something I'd be excited to watch?". That'll answer most of your "Is this a good idea?" questions.

To answer your first question, does found footage appeal to you as a viewer?

it should be noted that i'm not necessarily trying to do something groundbreaking and innovative; it's more of a way to practice a style of filmmaking that i haven't much experience with. i just figured it would be fun to get an idea of what people would be into. i appreciate everyone's feedback though!

well, shooting starts tonight. wish us luck and that we don't get arrested doing guerrilla filming (of a bloody horror film nonetheless) in a family-oriented cornmaze!

Back