• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

New lighting book for low budget

Hell All,

I am an IATSE local 52 gaffer and an indie low-budget cinematographer. I have taught lighting for over 12 years at Fairleigh Dickinson university and never found a book that was geared towards low budget production. So I wrote one myself. "Lighting for Cinematography: a practical guide to the art and craft of lighting the moving image" has just been published by Boolmsbury Press and is available on Amazon. Its a real hands-on approach to lighting, with stills and diagrams and exercises at the end of each chapter. Its gotten some great endorsements from cinematographers and teachers alike. I started a webpage to support it as well -

www.lightingforcinematography.com

The new cameras really demand better lighting, as they see everything and lighting is about controlling the image to support the scene and tell the story - no longer for exposure. Good lighting makes things look real while shooting under real lighting often makes things look fake. This is because the human eye has a much wider contrast and color dynamic range than any camera. in order for the viewer to become lost in the story, the lighting must imitate what the human eye would see, not what the camera sees. But even more so, it should add depth, create mood and atmosphere, set time and place and provide something worth looking at.

Last edited:
Back