• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

being flown to LA for a music video: packing?

Hey guys,
So I've been offered a music video deal which requires me to fly to LA (expenses paid) for a one-day shoot. I will be bringing my camera w/ lenses, batteries, etc in a backpack that will be carry-on.

Ideally, I would bring a monopod, tripod and my Ronin-M, but I know that stuff will have to be checked and transported under the plane. I don't feel comfortable with that, but I don't know any other way to get it onboard. Would it be of any use to ship the items via UPS prior to my trip, having them delivered to the airport where I'll be landing?

Any of you who have traveled with a lot of gear, get at me. I'm stumped.

I think you can trust the airline with the Ronin if it is packed well. As for the tripod and monopod, certainly you aren't going to be the only person on this shoot (assuming this because they are flying you into LA) you must be able to borrow someones sticks right?

Hey guys,
So I've been offered a music video deal which requires me to fly to LA (expenses paid) for a one-day shoot. I will be bringing my camera w/ lenses, batteries, etc in a backpack that will be carry-on.

Ideally, I would bring a monopod, tripod and my Ronin-M, but I know that stuff will have to be checked and transported under the plane. I don't feel comfortable with that, but I don't know any other way to get it onboard. Would it be of any use to ship the items via UPS prior to my trip, having them delivered to the airport where I'll be landing?

that your asking shows how little money people put into music videos... We're all impressed. after the plane ride your still broke you know that right

that your asking shows how little money people put into music videos... We're all impressed. after the plane ride your still broke you know that right

haha, yeah this whole thing is just to impress you guys. is it working???

so this prompts me to ask, where are the links to the high-budget productions you've worked on?

maybe i should have avoided the wrath of davidevans by saying i'm taking a wagon to oklahoma for an infomercial instead. i'm sorry for shattering your fragile ego with an innocuous, practical question.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I traveled alone with a lot of gear. But I have
used both methods in the past; pack and ship via UPS and pack and take
on the plane. Never had anything stolen or damaged. Using a shipping
service has the advantage of me not having to carry the gear. More recently
I've traveled with a lot of gear and a couple of other people. We check out
gear with the airline - charging the client of course. the disadvantage is we
have to lug the gear around. If it's just your sticks and gimbal checking it
with the airline is fine.

When using a shipping service I would suggest not delivering to the airport
but to the hotel where you are staying.

I've checked delicate baggage at the airport.
Before that happened I invested some time into creating a study way to store and box said baggage. It gets tossed around, look out the plane before it takes off and you'll see them literally throwing luggage around.

Box it well and you'll be fine.
When I was in elementary school we had a contest to built a container for an egg. Then they brought in a firetruck and extended the ladder as high as it could go. Fireman went to the top of the ladder and dropped our egg packages one at a time.

The goal was to have a sturdy enough package that your egg didn't break.

Invest in proper cases and bags for your gear. Goes a long way :)

Friend of mine recently had a drone shoot on the other side of the country, they had 3-4+ luggage carts piled up with Pelican cases.

No issues.

Back