FullSail

Any opinions on this film school? I have considered going to it, but if I do I want to do it soon, as I would have to leave my current school (not film related).

Unrelated Question: Is there anyway to change my username?

Ryan Connolly of Film Riot on YouTube went there. Some other dude I know went there and he has no talent. Blame the school or blame the kids original lack of talent (likely the latter).

It's bloody expensive

Username: no I believe not. I once made a whole new thread asking and got no response

Bummer about the user name. It is certainly decently expensive, but a lot of film schools are around the $40,000 mark. I just wonder if having a piece of paper from that school would hold any weight.

Having a piece of paper from any school holds no weight, and realistically from what I hear FullSail has a fairly awful reputation.
To be fair though, film school is what you make of it. There are industry professionals who never went to film school, and I'm sure there are people who never even made it close to the industry who studied film at USC.
Film school is great for some people, but more for the skills learned and contacts made during. No-one cares about your piece of paper.

I have had only poor experiences with hiring Full Sail grads.

I will no longer hire any one who has recently graduated from
Full Sail. I wait until they have "unlearned" by working on several
shows before I will consider them as a member of my crew. A
few years ago I made a movie in Florida and I specifically told
the local production coordinator I didn't want any crew members
who had recently graduated from FS. She understood and told
me feel the same way and never hires Full Sail grads.

HERE is an old (2005) discussion that shows both sides.

Full Sail was once a really good school that turned out top-notch people, it has become a diploma mill. Maybe one in in a hundred is properly prepared and motivated for real-world activities.

Working on low-budget indies in Florida, I can generally spot a Full Sail graduate at thirty paces. They are the ones with the confused expressions on their faces.

From what I understand, the school prepares its students to walk on to a Hollywood set, but does little (if anything) to prepare them for the harsh reality of how hard it is to break into the biz and that many productions can't afford the most up-dated equipment.

I always tell people who are thinking about enrolling to spend the money traveling to work unpaid gigs/internships instead and get the on-the-job experience. If you are willing to learn the ropes and become good at what you do, word will get around and it won't matter if you have a pedigree or not.

Back