Why the F*** are TLD's ".film" so EXPENSIVE!

Have you guys noticed it costs up to $150 to buy a ".film" TLD (top level domain)??!!!

I have my conspiracy theories as to why (studios want to squeeze the little guy). But does anyone know the real reason?

Curious.

Demand.

Sure, it might be a nefarious conspiracy but it could also be that there are
a lot of people who want a TLD. I tend to lean towards "demand" as the
real reason. But "squeeze the little guy" is possible. The deeper government
gets into internet commerce the more the little guy is squeezed.

In The Netherlands: €105,-

I think it has to do with demand.
The demand is smaller, so they charge more :P
(Economy is not always following 'the laws' supply and demand.)

In The Netherlands: €105,-

I think it has to do with demand.
The demand is smaller, so they charge more :P
(Economy is not always following 'the laws' supply and demand.)

ahhh I see...that kinda makes sense. But who is profiting? It takes the same amount of server space - doesnt it?

I didn't think the cost of the domain name has anything to do with server space.

It is worth shopping around as different registrars will charge differently. I'm not offering to register for you as I'm trying to get out of that but I checked and my cost for registering a .film would be $83 as opposed to $9 for a .com. It's certainly worth seeing if the .com would be available to you as people have been acclimated to associate any web address with .com so that's what they would try first if just typing in the url (like they read it on a poster or business card) as opposed to clicking on a link somewhere. IMO the .com looks more professional as if you really have the business end of your project sorted out.

I didn't think the cost of the domain name has anything to do with server space.

it's just a listing on the domain name server (DNS), mapping a domain name to an ip address

i'd say the answer as to why they are charging more is "because they can"
in capitalism people will charge you as much as they can as long as you'll still buy it

Back