Things I learned at this year's 48 hour film project

Of course, a composer's perspective, because that's what I do!

1) Don't do anything on Friday night. Get a good night's sleep. The concept the writers have at 9pm will not be the same as the script they have at 3am. All the cool cues you started will be inappropriate and you'll just wear yourself down.

2) I learned what Dubstep is!

3) I learned that what they were looking for was not, in fact, dubstep, but regular old dub. This is because the former is trendy, but that doesn't mean people will know the term of the latter (despite the style being around since the 60s...but I digress)

4) I learned I have no really usable saxaphone sounds for a jazzy soloist.

5) I learned that avoiding this problem because it had come up before is not a solution. Sometimes the director just REALLY wants a sax and will turn down many superior sketches until they get one.

6) I learned that I *really* need to get my team a sound guy. I had kinda assumed that, but thought maybe things had changed in a year. They hadn't.

7) Whenever you take a break to do a fast food run is EXACTLY when the director will call to go over drafts with you. And just because you usually have a notebook on hand doesn't mean you shouldn't double check before getting in the car.

8) I learned that just because you are uploading final .wavs to a shared collection on google docs does NOT mean the individual files are shared, unless you specify.

All this and so much more! I give my performance this year a B-, but my work was better than last year, which is the important part.

I know there are lots of 48hfp-ers around, what have you learned this year?

Ha ha love it! I feel so young... I actually know what dubstep is...

I can't wait to do a 48 hour film thing when it next comes to London. I'll have to keep your tips in mind, Josh! :)

This is what I learned.

Friday night: everybody is best friends
Saturday: still friends, but begin to hate director
Saturday night: hate friends and final cut pro and director
Sunday: breakup with girlfriend of four years, tell friends to screw off... still get project submitted on time.

Top 10 in state: achieved

night of movie showings: fix burned bridges

1 week later: get back with GF.

2 weeks later: life returns to normal.

1 year later: repeat
:D

(PS: I'm not really this crazy)

we had great luck on 48hfp this year! Came up with idea very quick, finished our screenplay around 11pm. We had good realistic schedule, and were reaaaaly strict about it.
Video came out perfect, and got an email two days ago that our video won an AWARD! :-D

Our greatest lesson was to stick to the schedule no matter what!

Looking forward to our next year

PS Here is our short movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMc6H6UBK5Y

LOL, I just posted about mine this weekend. I was on a team as actor/stunts.

Things I learned...

1. It's nice having beautiful women on set.
2. Some teams actually get along all the way through it.
3. You don't sleep for 3 days.

Back