Plot Device

No one has brought this up, so I figured I would. Red Giant has had their "short-slash-infomercial" up for a while titled PLOT DEVICE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKZfAQ7L_WM

It had a budget of 10K (US) and has a legit story while making use of their new software bundle for the infomercial portion. Thoughts on the short and the software?

My thoughts? The short was pretty good and Looks (or whatever that was) has become cartoonish. Discuss... :D

Yea watched this short awhile ago and its great :). Dead simple idea (however very targeted at people like us) I thought the grading was way over the top however. Other than that loved it.

There was a video game a while back where a mission instructed you to retrieve the P.L.O.T. Device.

I had to clean spilled beverage when I read the text. :D Will have to check out the video a bit later.

Every scene uses a different setting from Magic Bullet Looks. I use it myself, and it seemed pretty glaring to me, anyway. I rarely use the standard settings as it looks like they did, and at least tweak them a bit.

In fact, the problem with this film for me was that I'm familiar with the effects that they used, and consider them to be pretty standard low-end FX -- the kind of stuff I can do myself. I regularly see better work on TV. So I wasn't impressed. $10,000? Really?

Q: How do you make 10K look like 100 bucks?
A: Use plug-in presets.

Don't get me wrong -- I really like Magic Bullet. :D

Last edited:
Was it created as a commercial, or was that a secondary purposing of it? I see Rabinowitz was a producer. I'm familiar with his AEFX tutorials, and that's about it.

I thought it was great, btw. Had several lol-worthy moments.

Afterwards, I was on the Red Giant website looking at their software choices. Haven't done that in years, tbh.

So... I guess that means it's effective, too. :lol:

Was it created as a commercial, or was that a secondary purposing of it? I see Rabinowitz was a producer. I'm familiar with his AEFX tutorials, and that's about it.

I thought it was great, btw. Had several lol-worthy moments.

Afterwards, I was on the Red Giant website looking at their software choices. Haven't done that in years, tbh.

So... I guess that means it's effective, too. :lol:

Hook in mouth. Don't worry, you're not alone.

It was billed as a short film first, but I think you figured out the flow chart. Still, I'm glad they did it. At least show me an original commercial if you want my business....9 minutes later, I was still watching.

It was a pretty good short! Awsome effects aswell.

Hook in mouth. Don't worry, you're not alone.

It was billed as a short film first, but I think you figured out the flow chart. Still, I'm glad they did it. At least show me an original commercial if you want my business....9 minutes later, I was still watching.

I feel exactly the same :lol:

Every scene uses a different setting from Magic Bullet Looks. I use it myself, and it seemed pretty glaring to me, anyway. I rarely use the standard settings as it looks like they did, and at least tweak them a bit.

In fact, the problem with this film for me was that I'm familiar with the effects that they used, and consider them to be pretty standard low-end FX -- the kind of stuff I can do myself. I regularly see better work on TV. So I wasn't impressed. $10,000? Really?

Q: How do you make 10K look like 100 bucks?
A: Use plug-in presets.

Don't get me wrong -- I really like Magic Bullet. :D

I feel like snob but I feel the same way. It's the kind of low end VFX I do, which means a chimp could also learn it in a few hours provided he had the right ape trainer..

Last edited:
Back