Overnight (2003) - documentary

Overnight.jpg

As per a recommendation on a thread on this site, I just bought and watched OVERNIGHT, a 2003 documentary on Troy Duffy, the director/writer of BOONDOCK SAINTS.

WOW. This will haunt me for a little while. The footage was shot using VHS/SVHS cameras, but it still had a gritty, down to earth look that supported the story of ego and hubris destroying someone's career. Troy Duffy comes across like an ego-maniacal bastard. Immediately after speaking to a University of Boston film class, he tears on them at the bar afterwards for questioning him.

Amazing and highly recommended to anyone who suffers from delusions of grandeur when it comes to their film work. This along with AMERICAN MOVIE, a 1999 documentary on a horror filmmaker, should be required viewing to anyone hoping to make a career in filmmaking.

FYI, I need to thank SPINNER for pointing this movie to me. I should have noticed it 6 months ago, but it slipped by me. What an amazing find!

DUDE!! Have you ever heard of Troy Duffy?? Rent the film "Overnight" and reconsider telling anyone to G.F.Y. If there is one thing you learn from that film is that a lot of it is about relationships. The road to Hollywood is paved with the carcasess of dead filmmakers

This film is definitely a must-see, yah. :cool:

Ditto for American Movie, which Mr Boo also mentioned. Totally opposite side of the spectrum. :)

it is about relationships. The road to Hollywood is paved with the carcasess of dead filmmakers

Honesty kills, out here. :no:

Back