shorts and music rights

I know it is illegal to have copywritten music in your film without permission.

But, we dont live in a perfect world where all laws are followed. Anyone know of any short film fests that accept films that contain music without permission?

Or do most fests not even bother to ask, and its just up to you to take that chance?

I know Flicker accepts stuff with any music, but theyre not really a festival, just an exhibition thing.

If anyone doesnt know what Flicker is, they accept any film 15 mins or shorter that has been shot on either 8mm, super 8mm, or 16mm film. And they have screenings across the country, including here in New York City.

Thanks

Let me see if I understand this.
Assuming I use my own band to record a soundtrack consisting of other artists' copywritten music, I need (outside of Soundtrack rights):
Synchronization License: This is the right to synchronize a song or a piece of music with your visual image.
and a :
Master Use License: This is the right to reproduce a specific recording of a song in your film.

This sounds right, no one gets anything for free, but I was wondering what sort of price difference would there be in using the original recording versus my own. I'm producing a no-budget short and I wanted to be sure of the kind of music I'll be able to use. Thanks for the quick responses. The "festival rights" isn't an option anymore, thank you.

As far as I know if you use your own oringinal recorded music (ie your own band) its free. Just remember to copyright your music so you will be protected. But if you use someones written music you have to pay a fee. What I would do is find a local unknown band that would like to hear there music in a no-budget short or learn to compose your own music.Try to find a book on the business of music or music rights. Good luck!!

Zensteve wrote:
"It's recognisable traits that give value to a product.

A shoe is just a shoe... unless it has a "swoosh" visible. People recognise that.
A golf-shirt is just a golf-shirt... unless it has a crocodile emblazoned on it. People recognise that.
A beer bottle is just a beer bottle... unless it has a Heineken label on it..."

I have no interest in shoes or beer bottles. But I did mention automobiles and buildings. And as we all know, certain automobiles are unmistakable even without their company logo. And many many buildings are identifable and unique.

"If you disagree with the above... just send me a copy of your film. I'll sell copies of it as I see fit, and make some money... without giving you a share of the profits. "

That might be a distributuion deal worth taking you up on. I'll have to think about it.

After I had asked, "Anyone know of any short film fests that accept films that contain music without permission?"

Zensteve replied, "No, not offhand. I'm sure there are some, though.

They won't be the kind where awards or recognition are valued much, mind you. More of a showing/showcase of films, than judging. Once competitiveness gets involved, you can bet your bottom dollar that a person that comes in at second-place with a legit score will be challenging a first-place winner with a suspect Aerosmith soundtrack."

Im not really interested in competition, just awareness of my films.

I am going to look into festival rights for music, but if prices get too high....we'll see.

There are other avenues I am considering. Among them are searching for indie producers here in the city. I do know of some, and will contact them when all my shit is together. I have no problem showing them stuff with copywritten music without permission.

Does anybody know of any non-established filmmakers entering into non for profit fests or similar non-commercial events and then getting in trouble for not getting permission for music?

By the way, Zensteve, is that Veronica Brazil on your posts?

Last edited:
is that Veronica Brazil on your posts?

Hehe, no. I'd have to look up her name on the release, but I shot her about two months for a promotion. I should rotate in some of the other models.
smiley_fatcat.gif

certain automobiles are unmistakable even without their company logo. And many many buildings are identifable and unique.

Well, sure. There's a few old threads that go into detail (mainly about buildings) concerning how the DMCA made a few things problematic like that. I'm spacing on the names of particular American structures that one can't photograph right now, but take the Eiffel Tower. (Covered by same concept) You cannot legally photograph that at night. I guarantee that whatever design the new Freedom Tower ends up with, that it will be at least difficult to photograph. Many landmarks and buildings in the US have had changes made to them that now place them under copyright simply by existing.

I am going to look into festival rights for music, but if prices get too high....we'll see.

Go down to the Classifieds section of the forum, and look at the composers. Every month there are more composers posting, looking to do anything... most of them for free, so they can build a larger portfolio/reel.

It's good for you; it's good for them.

_______

Does anybody know of any non-established filmmakers entering into non for profit fests or similar non-commercial events and then getting in trouble for not getting permission for music?

Nope. I don't.

That's because everyone I know who tried to submit without music clearance had their films rejected by the fests at initial preview, and never had a chance to show.
smiley_creepy.gif

...I agree with you, however....

WriteumCowboy - It comes from a generation of people who don't think that the laws apply to them and they want music for free.
...It comes from a generation of people who have been gouged by music stores like Tower and Virgin. ( I love used cd stores now and that is how I have been doing some of my research.)

...I am expecting my project to be a music rights nightmare :scared: but you better believe I intend to figure out how to get music rights. It would be nice if people could just be fair and charge reasonable prices. Then everybody wins....

--spinner :cool:

So, does anybody else know of any non-established filmmakers entering into non for profit fests or similar non-commercial events and then getting in trouble for not getting permission for music?

Or will I be the first?

If you do know of anyone, do you have web links or magazine/newspaper article references about such instances?

GREATwarEAGLE said:
So, does anybody else know of any non-established filmmakers entering into non for profit fests or similar non-commercial events and then getting in trouble for not getting permission for music?

Or will I be the first?

If you do know of anyone, do you have web links or magazine/newspaper article references about such instances?

You wouldn't be the first and if you haven't heard about the RIAA going after indivudual users downloading songs... then maybe you're living under a rock. You didn't hear about ASCAP and BMI suing the Girlscouts for singing Kumbaya? or going after APPLEE's for royalties due for singing Happy Birthday ((ever wonder why restaurants make up their own crappy birthday songs? THIS is why - they got sued))? The Girlscouts of America is non profit & they weren't making any $$$ around the campfire singing that song either.

Using it in a short film and publically screening it at a festival is even more public & not going to matter.

Don't do it. It's theft, plain and simple. If you don't even attempt to secure the rights to the music you're using, then you've got no excuse. At least make the effort, sometimes you get lucky & get stuff free or cheap - especially for FILM FESTIVAL RIGHTS ONLY, as ASCAP & BMI have special pricing & arrangements just for us filmmakers.

Last edited:
Ahoy All,
As director of a film festival i can assure you its one of the first things i take into consideration when evaluating a submission..Original music and score puts the submission into the front ..including credits for copied music is always noticed ..copied music with festival permission is quite different than simply crediting the artist ..it can have equal footing as an original song, if applied in a truly original manner ..blatant copying is of course not acceptable..The internet has made networking much easier , many learning composers are out there looking for filmmakers to get started with ..experienced filmmakers already know this ..the art of the deal should be a filmakers forte.
Happy sailing
Captain......_/)........

Hi, my thread got lost about this...but I was wondering if anybody could help me out with what this means:

These works are fully under Free Art Licence available at http://artlibre.org.

That means it's copyleft under some conditions (similar to Share Alike)

That was written under the info of a musician's work from archive.org, that I'd love to use. I want to get in contact with him however before I send it off to a festival, any tips on how I should go about this?

That was written under the info of a musician's work from archive.org, that I'd love to use. I want to get in contact with him however before I send it off to a festival, any tips on how I should go about this?

You could try googling the name of the artist, to find their website (which ought to have contact details.)

Also, did the artist maybe add the pertinent info to the actual music file? Try checking the Properties of the audio file, to see what has been added as extra information.

:)

At the very least, go to archive.org, click "Open Source Audio" and search for music listed as simply "Attribution" or "Public Domain". Give the proper credit in your production and you're safe. That's where I find my music. Lots of good stuff there. Thousands of titles.

Approaching Music Companies

Does anyone have an example of a letter they wrote to a label when trying to acquire song rights?

Do labels typically want to see your film first? Do you include their song with the print, along with the artist's credit, to show them what it will look like?

What if the artist is relatively unknown, or part of a small niche in the industry? Would that factor into the contract?

Scott

if the artist is relatively unknown, first contact them and just write/email them and ask them if they would let you use their music, if yes, try to get it down into a written consent, when you talk to them be honest as much as you can about where and what this film is about and where it's going to get, sometimes, they would say yes, who knows, with short films, it's easier to get stuff without any issue, with feature, they need to just sign a contract, etc.

As for major labels, I cant remember but there's one site where you can get the agreement information and get it signed between you and the recorder/representative... The letter, is usually simple (for initial contact), express who you are, what you want, and what you want to do with his/her/band music and how it is going to relate to the movie and finally what $ is there availabe or not, etc...

I just wanted to add to this. As a composer myself, I am very aware of the competition that exists between young/new film composers in the industry today. This results in there being a plentiful resource of composers willing to work FOR FREE simply for credits and to enhance their own portfolio. For this reason alone I see very little reason not to use bespoke music (until you can afford to clear the odd track you might want to use)

It is for your films benefit too.

Good Luck

Jack

Back