Extra cash.

By extra money, are you talking inbetween a career in film-making, or are you saying film-making is a side project that you would like to make money from?

I'm a film student right now. And I want to earn money whilst gaining experience I suppose. I just signed up for poptent and I'm in an online contest now. Gonna go post the link in the appropriate forum.

Also,

how do you find/establish clientele for local commercials/music videos?

In marketing they call it 'creating a need.' It takes some confidence (and maybe some chutzpa) but just start calling (in person or on the phone) local businesses and come up with a sales pitch. Why and how would they benefit from having a web or tv commercial? What markets are they losing out on by not having one? You'll need a good pitch and some charm, but it's possible.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

I'm actuallly in an online contest now where you can vote once a day! you guys should help me out. I have a thread in the promotion forum with a link ;)

Contests are great - but not a reliable way to make extra money.

I'm a film student right now. And I want to earn money whilst gaining experience I suppose. .
Nice work if you can get get it. If you can find local business willing
to pay you to learn then making commercials for them would be a
good way to earn some extra cash. If you can find local bands willing
to pay you to learn then making music videos for them would be a
good way to earn some extra cash. If you can find couples getting
married who are willing to pay you to learn the shooting weddings
for them would be a good way to earn some extra cash.

Of course the trick is finding people willing to pay you to gain experience.
I suspect most business, bands and couples getting married are looking
for someone with some experience. I have found that building your
portfolio by working on a dozen (or more) projects for free is what allows
you to find/establish clientele. I know I shot at least 10 music videos
for free (and often at my own expense) before I was paid to do it.

My feeling towards online contests plays a bit to what Directorick is saying..

I love to play with cameras, lighting, write, everything to do with making movies.
I'm going to be doing it my free time no matter what, but Im a noob. (noob + maybee)

To me, contests are like film school assignments with an aggressive deadline. (I presume as I have not experience with film school) Im going to be doing SOMETHING anyway, so why not do something for a contests.

No doubt that poptent.net has been good to me. Iv been invited to three "invite only" assignments, each of which come with an automatic $200. Iv won a few editor and other cash awards, all of which has gone back in to gear and expenses. Certainly, I bust my but for that scratch, poptent has MANY hours of my hard work, but its work that I was doing anyway. Its building my portfolio and Im starting to see improvement in my abilities and skills. But as steady income, forget it, go wait tables :)

I don't know if you have this opportunity:

I worked for 3 years for a Jr Hockey team-I was a Video Replay Tech-I operated the vid equipment while the official beside me made judgement of goal/no goal.

I also took video footage from the games and compiled them for the team, and they used those clips as "pregame" video, I even got to do a couple of "Mashups" myself which were shown.

I was paid 25 dollars a game, worked out to about 2-300 dollars a month (yes I got paid for watching hockey games, from a nice little skybox no less!)

You can find uses in out of the way places-maybe a local team could use your film editing skills in some fashion :)

My feeling towards online contests plays a bit to what Directorick is saying..

I love to play with cameras, lighting, write, everything to do with making movies.
I'm going to be doing it my free time no matter what, but Im a noob. (noob + maybee)

To me, contests are like film school assignments with an aggressive deadline. (I presume as I have not experience with film school) Im going to be doing SOMETHING anyway, so why not do something for a contests.

Completely agree. Some people (most?) need an outside influence
to motivate them. Contests off that. I hadn't made a short film is
years - no motivation to do so - until the 48hr contest. I've done
it twice and had a blast both times.

I'm glad to hear that there are some that actually offer some cash.

Back