• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Child Prodigy Concept

I have a new concept for a very short film about three children who are each child prodigies in music, chess and math and I show them doing what they love from them starting their actions, getting into it (one getting into playing chess by themselves, the other doing math and the next playing testing an instrument (all of them on their own)), then becoming frustrated in not knowing what to do next, then solving/getting over that problem, easing into it then absolutely loving what they are doing. I could add onto it but that there is my concept and there will be no dialogue.
What d'ya think?

Story = Conflict

You can film this but the audience may not care about your short if they are not drawn in by the drama of each character's individual problem. Perhaps you could show each prodigy doing what they love and each one has a common problem; they are reclusive and desire community.

There is a problem (being alone) as well as payoff for your audience (witnessing your character's triumph over this issue.) Not only will you tell an interesting story without dialogue but you will also teach a valuable lesson; life is meant to be lived out with and alongside other people. There's your running theme; community.

Anyway just an idea to spice it up a bit.

Happy writing to ya,
Aaron

Story = Conflict

You can film this but the audience may not care about your short if they are not drawn in by the drama of each character's individual problem. Perhaps you could show each prodigy doing what they love and each one has a common problem; they are reclusive and desire community.

There is a problem (being alone) as well as payoff for your audience (witnessing your character's triumph over this issue.) Not only will you tell an interesting story without dialogue but you will also teach a valuable lesson; life is meant to be lived out with and alongside other people. There's your running theme; community.

Anyway just an idea to spice it up a bit.

Happy writing to ya,
Aaron

I actually did have that idea and thank you for it anyway. I also have another idea of them being so good they are forced to do what they are good at causing them to hate their passion but it's completely different so I'm wavering between the two. I should have posted this originally but I'm only thinking of it a few minutes ago.

I meant storywise. I echo what Wolverine has suggested.

I'm going to pause on this story as I'm working on a short film now but I appreciate you response. You never know I might not never come back to this, it's just an idea but I may change it radically as me and a few others did for my last script.

I'm going to pause on this story as I'm working on a short film now but I appreciate you response. You never know I might not never come back to this, it's just an idea but I may change it radically as me and a few others did for my last script.

Ideas are always perfect to keep in a bank. I've got a ton of one page scribbles which I may never touch again or return to when I know how to make it work.

Ideas are always perfect to keep in a bank. I've got a ton of one page scribbles which I may never touch again or return to when I know how to make it work.

It's a great thing to keep ideas written down. I sometimes do it and compare the ideas with each other and select the best one. I also do it to get the bad ideas out of the way and let something I never thought of roll in.

I don't really get your concept - should it be a "short film" or should the length of the film just be very short (and it should be like a demonstration, or a mini fake-doku, etc...)? What's your goal with this?

If it is a "short film", then I would sign what was said above. This is really far too little for a story that works. You do have conflict (albeit inner conflict), but you are missing some plot. Basically, your "story" is just a plot point, it's like a naked knob, so to speak.

Whereas screenwriters often have the opposite problem (no sufficient, fitting plot points, just waffling on and on), you have a plot point II, but that's it...

If it should just be a miniature, on the other hand, and you know what to do with it when finished and who should be the audience (because I don't know), then go ahead and do it!

Hope this helps somehow.

I don't really get your concept - should it be a "short film" or should the length of the film just be very short (and it should be like a demonstration, or a mini fake-doku, etc...)? What's your goal with this?

If it is a "short film", then I would sign what was said above. This is really far too little for a story that works. You do have conflict (albeit inner conflict), but you are missing some plot. Basically, your "story" is just a plot point, it's like a naked knob, so to speak.

Whereas screenwriters often have the opposite problem (no sufficient, fitting plot points, just waffling on and on), you have a plot point II, but that's it...

If it should just be a miniature, on the other hand, and you know what to do with it when finished and who should be the audience (because I don't know), then go ahead and do it!

Hope this helps somehow.

I'm just throwing out an idea there. Although if there is a point to this, it's meant to be experimental - looking at how doing things we love can bring frustration and problems to us and we must work around them to achieve a perfect execution. The same can be said for a screenwriter, they start off writing, suffer writer's block, then get over it (although there are a lot of short films about screen writing out there).

I'm just throwing out an idea there. Although if there is a point to this, it's meant to be experimental - looking at how doing things we love can bring frustration and problems to us and we must work around them to achieve a perfect execution. The same can be said for a screenwriter, they start off writing, suffer writer's block, then get over it (although there are a lot of short films about screen writing out there).

Yeah, it sounds like a study about success in generall: Overcome obstacles and frustration, always get up again and dust yourself off, stick with your dreams! The blueprint for success is always the same one, in screenwriting and in anything else.

I had a feeling it was meant in an experimental way, so then no talking about conflict or plot point/climax or whatever helps you. But then not much can be said about it either.

Back