Exposing for IRE target..

ok so i usually expose by eye and almost always get really good results, but im stepping up now and want to be more accurate and find myself thrown into the exposing at (insert number) IRE ..

Am i correct in thinking that if I have an 18% grey card and am told to expose for 50 IRE that I set my zebras to 50? or is it something to do with waveform? (i never use waveform but may be forced to do so if necessary)..

thanks

Hello

Yes if you want to expose at 50 IRE for a greycard, set your zebras at 50. But Be aware, there are two types of zebras. One will show you (example) 50 IRE and everything that is above, and there other one will show you 50 IRE AND everything 10 percent above and under. It's called zebra aperture if i remember good.

Personally, i never use gray card for exposure. I probably should (and one day i'll probably do that) but i prefer to look at the image and my favorite tool, the waveform. I also use zebras sometimes.

Be careful because you don't expose the same for every type of cameras. As an example, if you're shooting in S-Log, you're not going to expose your white the same way you do for standard profile picture.

Hello

Yes if you want to expose at 50 IRE for a greycard, set your zebras at 50. But Be aware, there are two types of zebras. One will show you (example) 50 IRE and everything that is above, and there other one will show you 50 IRE AND everything 10 percent above and under. It's called zebra aperture if i remember good.

Personally, i never use gray card for exposure. I probably should (and one day i'll probably do that) but i prefer to look at the image and my favorite tool, the waveform. I also use zebras sometimes.

Be careful because you don't expose the same for every type of cameras. As an example, if you're shooting in S-Log, you're not going to expose your white the same way you do for standard profile picture.

Yeah in particular I was wondering about C-log, wanted to expose 40-50ire but the waveform on the c100 is small, could be a case of getting a monitor.

Back