Film Script formatting question: Alternating between scenes

Hi,

here a newbie film script formatting question:
Let's say I have two locations and want to alternate between them multiple times (e.g. a crime happening at location A and a sniper hiding in location B). So I don't need to repeat the location descriptions every time because they would be the same.

Do I just not write a description or do I add something like "description as above" after the scene heading?

Thanks!

Chris

Hi,

here a newbie film script formatting question:
Let's say I have two locations and want to alternate between them multiple times (e.g. a crime happening at location A and a sniper hiding in location B). So I don't need to repeat the location descriptions every time because they would be the same.

Do I just not write a description or do I add something like "description as above" after the scene heading?

Thanks!

Chris
Welcome to indietalk.

You don't need to repeat the description every time. But you need to
repeat the slug line every time. Once you have described the location
from then on you only need to describe what is happening each time
you return to that location.

Hi Chris,

I'd recommend finding some scripts online similar to the kind of movies you want to write and read through them. I didn't realize how many scene changes actually take place in a script until I read the shooting script for The Matrix when I was 18. When I shot my last movie, I wanted it to be an homage of sorts to the Bourne films so I read those scripts to see how you write for the different elements (chase, fight, etc...) Really helped me out :)

Back