Ideas for a First person/POV film

Hi all,

I study Music Technology (audio engineering) and my dissertation is based around binaural audio and how it can be simulated. So to cut a long story short, I am planning to make a 3-5 minute short film from a first person perspective that will show off 3D audio.

A lot of the first person shorts I've seen tend to be parkour or shot like a fps video game. My question is, has anyone on here made a first person video before? Or had interesting POV movie ideas there willing to share?

My go to option is very simple and involves someone alone investigating a noise they heard in there house at night. It would hopefully be a sort of suspenseful creepy experience. And it would allow me to use a lot of household objects as noise sources.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Some other info:

- I have a basic understanding of the different processes needed to make a short film and have previously made a short film through my course.
- My budget is very small (fortunately I own all the equipment needed)
- I have roughly just over a month to make it

Definitely seems like a fully possible idea to create a first person short film.
If you haven't already seen it, I'd recommend checking out scenes from The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. It's first person, if I recall correctly, although probably very different than what you're wanting to do. I guess it just shows it can be done with many different types of stories.

There's definitely a lot of first person movies through cameras, but I'm guessing you're talking about seeing the story through the eyes of someone and not a camera someone is holding (ie Cloverfield, Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity, etc).

Peep Show is a relatively popular comedy that is filmed in 1st person POV. Available on youtube.

Cool idea to combine this with 3d audio!! I could see that getting a lot of views.

The video game counterstrike is pretty old now but it was heavily reliant on noise. 1st person shooter.

You've got to listen closely to footsteps, etc to detect if someone is going to be around the corner.

I am planning to make a 3-5 minute short film from a first person perspective that will show off 3D audio.

In addition to the suggestions already provided, there are many films which contain 1st person POV sequences; Saving Private Ryan, Master and Commander, Gravity and many others. Another suggestion, if you really want to show off binaural audio, is to contrast it. Contrast creates the biggest impact, both in music and film sound! For example, having sections of your short which are not 1st person POV in say mono and then other sections which are 1st person and in binaural will create a very dramatic contrast, which if done well could be extremely effective.

BTW, careful of using the term "3D audio"! In film it has a specific meaning, it's currently used to describe object oriented, multi-channel audio systems such as Dolby Atmos, not binaural audio systems which are completely different with very specific limitations.

It sounds like an interesting idea/project though, please keep us informed of your progress.

G

Back