HOW DO I MIMICK THIS LOOK?

I'm fairly new to the whole, video production, and would like to know how to achieve this look? I did a bit research but I want to know what it takes to produce this cinematic music video & was wondering If I could get a quality like the link below

I have a canon 6D, with decent lens. Can I achieve this look?, is their specific lens I should look for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqRhIuxkMkI

So to clarify, all you have is a camera and a lens?

No lights?
No steadycam/jib/flycam/dolly?

If that's the case, you hire people who can achieve the look you're after and hire the appropriate equipment they recommend.

I'm fairly new to the whole, video production, and would like to know how to achieve this look? I did a bit research but I want to know what it takes to produce this cinematic music video & was wondering If I could get a quality like the link below

I have a canon 6D, with decent lens. Can I achieve this look?, is their specific lens I should look for?
Yes you can. Have you taken your camera and lens out and shot
scenes like the ones in that music video?

So to clarify, all you have is a camera and a lens?

No lights?
No steadycam/jib/flycam/dolly?

If that's the case, you hire people who can achieve the look you're after and hire the appropriate equipment they recommend.

i do have professional lights, that's kind of what i was asking, what do I need to reproduce something like this

Last edited:
No I haven't lol, but I will give it a try thank you! I've done fairly small clips inside my house and I just find that quality wise, it does not look up to par.
The way a cinematic look is achieved is with practice. You don't
get a cinematic look with a camera and decent lens alone. I saw
nothing difficult or special about the music video you linked to.
It looked like a project shot by people with some skill, experience
and talent. Sure they had some good equipment, but they also
had experience in using that equipment.

It's time for you to get out of the house and shoot some video
with your camera. Learn. Develop skills with practice. Try different
settings. Learn about moving the camera. Experiment with light;
both natural and artificial. You don't get that experience by shooting
some fairly small clips inside your house. The 6D is a fine camera.
Time to learn how to use it well.

i do have professional lights, that's kind of what i was asking, what do I need to reproduce something like this

There's a saying. "I'd rather have a professional with amateur gear than an amateur with the best gear." Skill is a defining quality. To answer your question, you need the appropriate gear to achieve the required task and the right people with the correct skills to achieve what you want. It's a combination of a lot of factors. As a film maker, its your job to work out those factors, develop and execute your plan and manage your resources as best as you can.

This basically means, you'll either need to develop the skills yourself or gain additional team members. Either way, you'll likely need other team members to achieve the cinematic feel (I hate look as it implies that filming is only a visual medium. It's an audio-visual medium)

I've done fairly small clips inside my house and I just find that quality wise, it does not look up to par.

I never asked. What job in the film making process are you assuming? DOP? Director? Actor? and/or many of the other roles?

What Sweetie and Directorik said.

Yes, you can emulate the look. In fact, I'd say the blown out highlights outside due to a lack of a variable ND is probably pretty easy to mimic.

You could do all of that on a 60D with practice, skill and some additional kit.

I would say that the highlights are blooming because they used a "Promist" filter. It makes the highlights bloom, and softens harsh details. I had a promist #3 that worked well. The higher the number, the more the highlights bloom.

Back