Music for showreel - should I be bothered about copyright?

When you're choosing music for your showreel, should you be concerned about copyright or getting permission from artists?

I think it is well worth being cautious. I only know what I learned in an intellectual property class in undergrad, but certainly if the intent of a show reel is to gain exposure from people in the business, you certainly wouldn't want to burden yourself with the concern that the "wrong" person might watch your reel, and be upset about the use of copyrighted material. There are a number of sources online for stock music you can use, including I believe, some of the composers on this site, so it's not a crippling obstacle by any means.
If you want to use something more along the lines of a pop or rock song, I would just steer clear! Recognizable unlicensed pieces, even if not resulting in legal action, can be very distracting to a business insider, who may, upon hearing a song like Eye of the Tiger, immediately consider whether or not you have the rights to it, and if so, how on earth you managed it!

Take all of this with a grain or two of salt, I haven't the slightest bit of legal training, and have only dealt with intellectual property from the other side of the coin.

Good luck with the reel!

Back